• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Three raptors from Crete Greece (1 Viewer)

ColD

Save the Egyptian Vulture in Greece
1 ....I have Red-footed Falcon juvenile , someone suggested Amurensis
2.....? Rough-legged Buzzard but cannot rule out Long-legged Buzzard
3..... A suggestion of Northern Perigrine Falcon, callidus or a mixed peregrinus/callidus another suggestion is for Lanner !

All these birds have arrived in last couple of days. Late migration ?

Sorry for image quality of pic 2 it was getting quite dark ! I have other images of all three if it helps

Thanks for any opinions.
ColD

Attachments

• aIMG_2022.jpg
    aIMG_2022.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 239
  • aIMG_2028.jpg
    aIMG_2028.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 230
  • aIMG_1929.jpg
    aIMG_1929.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
Common Buzzard, probably

Looks better for 1cy LLB with a large amount of white to the hand and rather thin bars to the primaries. Also the paler areas of the upperparts are situated towards the outer median coverts and scapulars: much more in line with LLB than CB.

Looks better for 1cy LLB with a large amount of white to the hand and rather thin bars to the primaries. Also the paler areas of the upperparts are situated towards the outer median coverts and scapulars: much more in line with LLB than CB.

Agree.

Peter

I ruled out common buzzard as we have our resident ones close by and they come to roost in the same trees.

This one came in late and was mobbed by several hooded crows, they leave the resident common buzzard alone usually.

I thought it looked more like a rough-legged hence my hesitation on LLB or RLB it was still (as darkness fell) in the trees, so an early start in the morning to try and catch a glimpse again.

Cheers
ColD

Three more images of the same three birds
Not sure how many images can be posted at a time , I think three is the limit

Pic 1....Northern Peregrine or Lanner ?
Pic 2....LLB or RLB
Pic 3....Red=footed Falcon ?

Thanks
ColD

Attachments

• aIMG_1950.jpg
    aIMG_1950.jpg
    349.9 KB · Views: 136
  • aIMG_2035.jpg
    aIMG_2035.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 150
  • aIMG_2025.jpg
    aIMG_2025.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 134
Col, I did not make that really clear. 5 pictures per time you post including in a reply to a post. There is no real limit to what can go into a thread.

Niels

Thanks very much Niels B :) also thanks everyone for the input
calidus peregrinus, young rufinus, young vespertinus. they are :t:

Cheers
ColD

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back