• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Carrying your gear - what do you use? (1 Viewer)

Andrew Clarke

Inspired by the excellent book 'The Sound Approach to Birding' and a couple of recent traumatic unknown calls by fly-by migrants |:S| I have just purchased a secondhand minidisc, Sennheiser ME66/K6, pistol grip and a 2Ocm Rycote Softie.

The problem now is how to transport this gear in the field with my scope pak, binoculars etc! Short of my own personal sherpa, I am asking for advice on recommended gear for this set up.

My mate who sold me the kit reckons that a belt with attached clips for the minidisk, speakers and a holster for the mic is the best means but I have not yet come across any suppliers. Living here in north west Wales I'm aware of the local climate (rain, sea spray etc that is currently beating at my window) and the need for something waterproof, safe and secure. I was thinking of obtaining something like belt and a camouflaged waterproof drinks bottle holder for the mic?

So, good people, what do you use?? What should I avoid?

Thanks in anticpation of your response!

Andrew

I have seen a couple of bird tour guides with the same mic; they usu sally resort to some home-made construction made out of plastic to ensure to keep water out.

Mmm, bit of a slow response here (but thanks to Hanno for your comments)!!

Does no one use this bit of kit on this board - or are you all just shy?

I read an earlier thread about a home made leather holster, but presumably there are other commercial holster available? A shoulder strap would work but will be a pain when taking my scope pak off.

Any more comments/advice?

Thanks

Andrew

Hi
I use a pouch/small bag carried around the waist (you will find different sizes in Sports Magazines/shops), if you are lucky u will get one that takes all the equip.
Then you will have it all ready in front of you if something pops up.
Stein

Thanks for that idea Stein - makes sense.

I've also heard of using some pvc pipe attached to a belt as a waterproof holster for the mic and hope to get some offcuts from my father who's a plumber. I reckon with a bit of camo tape (and maybe a waist bag) I should be sorted.

Try your local Army and Navy stores Andrew, I use a very similar set-up as a Tour Guide and found a perfect, ex-gulf marine belt type gizmo that allows the mic to be holstered, a mesh speaker pocket and the rest of the kit combined, and being on the waist, I don't feel it. Any good stores should have a variety for you to sample.

Cheers Rockfowl - will check them out. I'm really keen on the idea of using the plastic pipe to protect the expensive microphone; maybe I can holster it in the belt you mentioned.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back