• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID help please 2 (north of Sweden) (1 Viewer)

tarzzz

Sweden
Hi.

Is this a Meadow Pipit?

Thanks

//Ben

Attachments

• Bild 123.jpg
    Bild 123.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 106
  • Bild 124.jpg
    Bild 124.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 102
  • Bild 125.jpg
    Bild 125.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 123
  • Bild 126.jpg
    Bild 126.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 134
I personally think Tree Pipit

fine flank streaking, very pale around the eye, less strong mantle streaks, fine pale edges to the tertials

Last edited:
Tree would be very nice.. thats a Lifer for me..

Around here there are Tree, Meadow and Red-throated pipits..

How sure can you be from these crappy photos ?

//Ben

I'd agree with Dave. The contrast between the buff base colour to the breast and the white belly is pretty clear in a couple of images. Combined with the thin flank streaking and bold white median wing bar, its a clear cut Tree Pipit for me.

I couldn't be completely sure - and looking again, in the last photo it seems to show a long back claw on the right leg which could indicate meadow rather than tree? I still think tree though

Last edited:
the hindclaw looks like an inconvenient twig, it's in the same place in all the pictures, if it is its claw, then we have a problem!

I don't say it's a Meadow's, but some characters point to Meadows, IMHO : second picture shows rather bold streakings (or are they misplaced feathers ?), there doesn't seem to be any supercilium or ear spot, hind claw seems long and, especially, straight, looks small (Tree often looks rather big) with small bill.

Here is a nice picture of a Tree Pipit taken from behind showing a hind claw that appears to be quite long and straight. Also has an indistinct head pattern. Identified on call before landing.

(picture is actually by a friend of mine)

Attachments

• Tree pipit (Paul Sullivan).jpg
    Tree pipit (Paul Sullivan).jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 91
Well.. this seems too difficult, I guess I'll have to let it go as unidentified... :-(

//Ben

Last edited:
I'm only joking. Its good that you don't count it just because someone says it is one. Its always best to be able to identify things for yourself, even if the ID initially comes from someone else, you at least have to be able to see what they are saying. I'm sure you'll find another easier Tree Pipit soon. Just go back to where you took these pictures and listen for the call...

Yes.. it was nearby.. I'll go there again.. I heard a LOT of Meadow Pipits, but this one didn't sing.. thats why I put it out..

I'll get my Tripit soon !!.. I hope..

//Ben

Also showing nicely in Frenchy,s friends pic. of the Tree pipit is the heavier bill, wider pale sub-moustachial stripe, the tiny dark stripe in front of the eye - breaking the eyering. In some Tree Pipits - the Olive-backed Pipit pale patch below and behind the rear end of the supercilium and below the pale patch a dark spot is rather well shown here. The hind claw in Tree is shorter and obviously curved (7-9mm). Meadow has a longer and straighter - although not Lark like straight but less curved than Tree (10-13mm).
The bill of the subject bird looks Meadow Pipit thin and what I can see - with a long straight hindclaw. Flank streaking looks thin but there are also some broader steaks there as well and by looking at the third pic. one gets a hint of a not so broadly streaked breast as well - which would then - all mentioned characters taken together - correspond better with Meadow. Flank streaking usually narrower compared to wider on the breast on Tree.

I´ll settle with Meadow for now.

JanJ

Yes.. I leave it unidentified.. but looks like Mipit.. thats OK..

I'll have to go for the Tripits another day.

Thanks ALL!

//Ben

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back