• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flight shots of birds (1 Viewer)

AI Servo, a fast focusing lens and some luck. Av mode is probably the best mode to start on, dialling in positive exposure compensation as necessary. Use the highest ISO you can afford, to get a shutter speed of 1/1000th or more.
Birds in flight are easier to capture against sky than a busy background, which will more often than not tempt your camera's AF system away from the subject you are tracking. Be aware that against the sky you will need to dial in far more exposure compensation.

Good luck, and remember that birds in flight are one of the hardest things to capture well!

Depends which camera body you are using I would think.For my D200 I use the 7 AF points across the middle whereas for static birds I use a single AF point.
For Swifts and Swallows I was advised to use as many AF points as you have.
Big birds a pretty easy to capture, little ones aren't !

Sorry Ian couldnt resisit

I have only ever got a couple of good shots, so had to show one off :-O

As others have said ....... yep, more than a bit of luck was involved with mine

Dave

Attachments

• Herring Gull in flight.JPG
    Herring Gull in flight.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 87
one of my favs, this bird was being chased by another Shelduck and was making a hasty retreat

Attachments

• skimming-shelduck-bf.jpg
    skimming-shelduck-bf.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 91
Ingredients :
1 - fast shooting camera
2 - preferably a fast lens that is easily hand- held .
3 - AF continous ( the more focus points = the better )
4 - continous shooting ( 3-8 fps depending on camera )
5 - At least 8 GB card ( or 2 x 4GB ) - you'll end up shooting 600+ frames in Raw.Hopefully some will come out sharp ....
6 - 1/1250 or faster shutter speed
7 - A LOT OF LUCK !

Attachments

• 6414Heron1_filtered.jpg
    6414Heron1_filtered.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 75
  • 6414NSN-K1.jpg
    6414NSN-K1.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 91
  • 64142_filtered.jpg
    64142_filtered.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 73
Agree Doc except the hand held comment, as long as the bird isn't too high, with a tall tripod and a gimbal head I find that tracking a bird in flight is quite easy, the Shelduck I posted was taken this way. Yes I do handhold as well but don't discount a mounted lens

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back