• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two lycaenidae but what species (1 Viewer)

Hillevandam

These two lycaenidae butterflies both live on the edge of a rice swamp in the undergrowth of the adjourning farm bush with mango, orange, cola nut and oil palms. The up side of both is not often seen while seated. these are the best I could find among the photos I made. The wingspan of both is 3cm or less than that.
Who can tell me what they are?

Attachments

• up visible P6100059ed.jpg
    up visible P6100059ed.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 16
  • P4010110ed.jpg
    P4010110ed.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 15
Yes, #2 is Tetrarhanis symplocus. It did not exist on my Sierra Leone checklist but now I have got Butterflies of West Africa I found out this species occurs in the whole of West Africa.
That same book has now identified #1 as Oboronia punctatus. The writer of the book, T Larsen, wondered if this species was really absent from Sierra Leone as there are no species in any of the collections used for identification.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back