• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Small songbird, Colorado USA (1 Viewer)

tenex

reality-based
This must be a quite common bird and I've seen it before in previous years, probably also in springtime, but have failed twice now to identify it. (I'm also curious why that is, even with a search engine like WhatBird.) Perched this time atop a conifer. Loud song, rather small and quite slender, overall dark grayish(?) color, largely reddish neck and head (presumably on male), relatively long slender tail with a central notch (two lobes). Didn't have the best view or light, but no pattern easily visible on body (like stripes on a finch).

Thanks, a good and likely suggestion. I just haven't had the impression of a light or streaked belly, or the distinct red cap I see in a lot of Cassin's photos. I'll keep hoping for a better look...

No, it's not just you. I don't either.

Did you actually have a pic?... because I did not see one either. I was just trying to ID by the description given.

No one should waste further thought on this. I did finally get a good look at the bird(s!) I'm seeing here just now with binos, and they're simply House Finches, whose streaks I couldn't make out in silhouette at a distance. I also have some memory of a bird that seemed very slender and dark overall, but shape varies with posture and I might not have seen the belly, so that could have been a HF too. The more I look at photos of Cassin's the surer I am I've never seen one, and there doesn't seem to be another likely possibility. Sorry for sharing my confusion.

By the way, after some experimentation I see why I keep getting nowhere with WhatBird. It's incredibly rigid. A House Finch is just over 5", so if I guess 'very small, 3-5"' instead of 'small, 5-9"' it gets excluded. Similarly, it's tagged as primarily "brown" not "gray". Its (possible) secondary color is tagged as "red" not "rufous", and so on. Someone just wasn't thinking of actual use here. Do other such engines work better? (For apps I have an Android phone. I once tried to download Merlin but it wouldn't run.)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back