• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I miss my DiaScope! (1 Viewer)

Jaeger70

Greetings,

I owned a Zeiss DiaScope for several years and without going into detail, thought I had found 'scope nirvana.' Unfortunately, I had to sell the instrument due to an unexpected lapse in employment and associated financial strains (of course 'blowing' $1700 U.S. on the Zeiss certainly didn't help my financial situation!)

Alas, I am once again in a position to purchase another spotting scope. However, the thought of spending another huge sum on a DiaScope isn't very appealing at this moment, despite how much as I admire the glass.

I have been a birder for many years and am quite familiar with most high-end optics. I have talked with several 'optics experts', including the fine folks at Eagle Optics (I have purchased all my optics from them over the years) about under $1000 (U.S.) scopes and all have suggested I take a strong look at the latest Bushnell Elite offering. Regarding the Elite, I haven't seen much posted here or anywhere else for that matter on the Bushnell's merits or lack thereof. One individual with whom I spoke even went so far as to say that there exists a certain 'snob factor' amongst optics reviewers and thus, are reluctant to give high marks to a scope with the Bushnell name on it. This same individual also feels the Elite is a better scope than the Pentax, which is ~$300 more. I'm somewhat skeptical about the 'snob factor' because, let's face it, in the real world, a $700 scope isn't going to offer the same performance as the likes of Zeiss, Leica, Swarovski, and Nikon. However, I do feel the aforementioned scopes are overpriced (I can't blame a company for making as much profit as they can, after all, if folks are willing to pay, then prices will remain astronomical).

Does anyone here have any experience with the Elite? It appears to be a solid bargain - $700 includes a 20x-60x eyepiece and see-through case.

Good birding!

Jaeger70 said:
Greetings,

Jaeger, I'm in a similar situation. I presently own an old Spacemaster and have wanted to upgrade for a while. But have been out of work due to injury. My dilema is the same, in that I can't bring myself to "dispose" of such sums of money as I once could. The fine folks at Eagle Optics also told me the same with regards to the Bushnell Elite. The problem is, I've grown fond of my Classic 7X42 and love the view. They said it wont be as good in poor conditions, but it is less than half the cost. Let me know what you decide and good luck.

Jaeger & DAFOX,

I am afraid that neither of you will be eventually satisfied with anything less than the Diascope or some other top-class scope. You could either buy as inexpensive scope as you possibly can accept now, and decide to upgrade whenever you can - or delay the purchase until you can afford the best. Incremental upgrades are usually most expensive and most difficult to justify... but that is just my opinion.

Good luck,

Ilkka

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back