• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Field of View (1 Viewer)

Robert Ellis

Larus marinus
How much emphasis do you lot place on having a wide field of view. The models I am looking at bins (no brands, I don't wish to start a "you should try these, those are crap) and the fullsize models in my pricerange have about 6.3 or 6.4 degrees. I am switching from porros that were around 7 degrees. The midsize models in the ranges I am considering offer 7.5 degrees.

Which is generally considered a minumum useful field for birding with 8x glasses?

Cheers.

Hi Robert,

I would say 7.5° is sufficiently wide (8x7.5° -> AFOV 60°) for me. I notice a narrow fov easily, but I am not sure it would disturb me in the longer run. My binos have AFOVs of 60 and 65°, which are OK for all my uses - but anytime I look through very wide-angled Nikon EIIs I feel like "WOW, I need these...".
Oh, and welcome to BirdForum!

Ilkka

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back