• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

wilderness island (1 Viewer)

DeanMessenger

an unassuming little place in middle surburbia. its just off Beddington Park / hackbridge. and its essentially a tiny little wooded island ( takes about 5-10 minutes at most to walk around ). But whats so special about this place is that its home to kingfishers.
there was talk that they had left a couple of years ago but i was down there last year and spent around 2 hours watching a pair of them whizz up and down in front of me ( sadly i couldnt find there perch spot to get a shot of them and so darn fast to catch in flight.
its quite overgrown around the waters edge ( a tributary kind of thing that goes in a loop as part of the river wandle )
. to get there you can actually park along Mill lane ( running into river Gardens ) and the entrance to the wooded area is on mill lane / river gardens itself.
I think its a council run warden supervised place and the whole area is no bigger than 100m by 100m. the island is accessed by wooden bridge that goes across the river ( stream ) and at its narrowest probably no more than 3 feet across and about 20 feet at its widest where it has a small weir that backs onto an industrial estate ( thats where the kingfishers seem to fly up and down ) . other than a few ducks as well as some woodland birds theres not much else to see, but its very quiet and secluded and doesnt suffer from public footfall as it leads nowhere but around the tiny island.

if its local to you and you want the chance of possibly seeing kingfishers ( never a guarantee ) then its worth a visit for an hour or two.

dont know if links are allowed but heres more information
http://www.wildlondon.org.uk/reserves/wilderness-island

That looks beautiful there Dean. It must be a wonderful oasis of calm in that busy area.

It seems you had a lovely visit too. Do tell us more about your trips there... we all love Kingfishers!!;)

just five minutes walk away is Beddington Park and also the grove and carshalton Ponds.
great place to see Herons and get up close and personal to them as well, and of course like many parks the obligatory squirrels.

hope to get back there soon and try catch the kingfishers but for now heres a shot i took of the Herons there

Attachments

• 14823461947_18fc77caa9_c.jpg
    14823461947_18fc77caa9_c.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 81
What a great picture that is Dean. You should think about putting some of your images in the Gallery too.

.... and if you're very good;).... I might just start an Opus article for this island.

thats great ( though had to check what an opus was ( essentially a wiki so i discovered).
its a great little hidden away place thats for sure. though as i went only for the kingfishers i didnt really pay to much attention to what else had been seen there.

Love it when you find little under wildlife haves, especially very secure. Tonight whilst on my local patch what I've used nearly everyday for over 4 yrs, weather permitting and tonight found a little patch I didn't even know it was on there after all these years.

Damian

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back