• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Little Egret or Snowy Egret (1 Viewer)

Where I do know that Little Egrets have been found in your area, I'm gonna go with Snowy based on this image.

Then you go to the opus pages for either one of those two species, look in references where you will find a link to this page: http://secrb.trinidadbirding.com/idlittlesnowyegret.html

Niels
Thanks! But none of their pics matches the OP's bird with its lores dull yellowish with a blue-green patch immediately above the gape line . . . the closest is perhaps p.3, Little Egret #4 (except for its otherwise blotchy yellow bill).

Any other characters that can be used in the absence of head plumes and with most of the legs hidden? Is it possible to get a detailed enough measure of its bill size/shape from this pic?

Are there any other pics of the bird in question?

I agree a more side-on view of the bill would be better. Even so, I think the balance of evidence favors snowy.

Niels

Certainly the balance of probability also strongly favours Snowy - but I can well understand why the OP raised this bird; on the current pic, I'm not sure it can be identified with certainty as either.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back