• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Falcon ID (1 Viewer)

Pavel

Please help ID: Small Falcon, very pale, flying north yesterday above Shabla Lake, NE Bulgaria. First impression was for a very pale Red-footed Falcon, also similar size comparing with migrating RFF around. BUT, not so slim and likely to have a broader moustache. Lack of visible barred underparts. Sorry for the bad quality of this record shot, the bird was quite distant! Other bad quality pictures are available.

Attachments

• Falcon.jpg
    Falcon.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 162
Primaries moulting maybe change the impression of wing structure, but the broad arm is there for Peregrine, apart from plumage features. Some males are pretty small.

Please help ID: Small Falcon, Sorry for the bad quality of this record shot, the bird was quite distant! Other bad quality pictures are available.

Oh!....for some bad quality shots like that Pavel! :eek!:
FWIW several years ago I watched aerial interaction over a rubbish dump between a Carrion Crow and a male Peregrine, with the former being larger (perhaps 5%) than the latter!

Cheers

Many thanks to all, as I already mentioned - it was a Small Falcon and I would never shot if it wasn't so buffy pale, not white, so the bird looked really interesting to me. Anyway, I'm including some additional, distant and very bad quality record shots.

Attachments

• Falcon_.jpg
    Falcon_.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 51
  • Falcon2.jpg
    Falcon2.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 66
  • Falcon3.jpg
    Falcon3.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 67
  • Falcon1.jpg
    Falcon1.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 50
Pavel,
I think you are at the point where misjudging the distance means that you have misjudged the size of the bird. It happens for all of us, we as human beings are really poor at determining size.

Niels

Pavel,
I think you are at the point where misjudging the distance means that you have misjudged the size of the bird. It happens for all of us, we as human beings are really poor at determining size.

Niels

Thank you Niels, you are right!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back