• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (39 Viewers)

Cley + Blakeney Point

As you probably know, Steve, the best seawatches here are usually to be had when the conditions are foul- in fact, the worse, the better. That’s why, when this occurs (e.g. NW 10 & pelting rain), the shelter at Sheringham is filled very quickly. Not much good for photos, though ! I remember several times having to stand on the benches, to avoid being drenched by the sea washing all that way up- and flinging copious quantities of shingle with it.

I think Im becoming a bit of a fair weather birder John ;)

Although the sea wasn't as exciting as last Sunday, I managed to get cracking prolonged views of a summer plumaged Red Throated Diver at Cley on a calm sea. Also good views were had of some Guillemots and another Red Throated Diver (moulting) and the many Gannets. I'm normally an inland birder so I get easily excited about sea birds ;)

I didn't connect with the Sandpiper at Cley so thought I would walk out to Blakeney Point to see the seals. Nothing particularly rare to report but it was a lovely afternoon hike. 4 Eider flew west offshore, 2 Mergansers in Blakeney harbour, 1 Barn Owl and a crimson susnset on the walk back.

Cheers

Steve

It's feeling autumnal at last at Whitlingham now. This morning three Water Rails were making a racket, a Wigeon was on the Little Broad, a small group of Siskins were near the bird screen and Redwings and Skylarks were both flying over.

Knot much to write about

Playing the theme tune from bonanza! On a serious note

There’s not a serious note in the whole melody ! Did anyone else not think it strange that no member of the Cartwright family resembled any other ? (I only caught much later that Ben had three different wives, who all died.)

Finding it increasingly Ponderosa to put one foot in front of the other, I managed to reach Gramberosa without completely breaking down- and thought longingly of the bed awaiting my weary body in the Hospital for Depressed Norfolk Birders.

The colour-ringed female Stonechat refused to perch conveniently to be snapped; a Blackbird was invisible, as was a Goldcrest.

A Knot and Dunlin (check, again!) were with the Turnstones in the car park.

A ‘phone call alerted me to the possibility of an OBP. Deficient in the will department to continue, I drove east and had just reached my car park, when I received the ‘probable’ pager alert.

So what ? Seen flocks of 20 in furrin’. In any case, 25 + 25 = 50 miles- and roast venison awaits.

Attachments

• 034pse.jpg
    034pse.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 118
Jill and I watched at least eight Bearded Tits at Snettisham Country Park yesterday evening before admiring the Pink-feet going over to The Wash as the sun was setting. It was a stunning sight I shall never tire of.

Sue

Excellent:t: Hotting up for my holiday that starts on Saturday:t:
Not long to go now before you can go birding again Oliver!

Not sure if the other sites are showing the same as magicseaweed, but the winds on Thurs/Fri are shown coming straight down from the north, so not sure what we'd expect from that (bit early for Ivory Gull and Penny doesn't 'need' that - althoguh I'm sure, being the gracious person that she is, she wouldn't mind another one for the rest of us!)

Last edited:
Not sure if the other sites are showing the same as magicseaweed, but the winds on Thurs/Fri are shown coming straight down from the north, so not sure what we'd expect from that (bit early for Ivory Gull and Penny doesn't 'need' that - althoguh I'm sure, being the gracious person that she is, she wouldn't mind another one for the rest of us!)
I wouldn't mind seeing a second Ivory Gull for Norfolk at all;);)

For the visual learners amongst us....please see attached screenshot.
Realistic Prediction: Play it safe and stick with winter thrushes, Redpolls, Waxwings and winter ducks.
Dream world prediction: Gull previously mentioned, Cley beach covered in Little Auks and Polar Bears!

Attachments

• new map.jpg
    new map.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Realistic Prediction: Play it safe and stick with winter thrushes, Redpolls, Waxwings and winter ducks.
Dream world prediction: Gull previously mentioned, Cley beach covered in Little Auks and Polar Bears!

So winter birds are your prediction, not late autumn migrants? Not what I would call 'tasty' for late autumn! (although I'm sure JF will come on board with some quip about how pleasant Puffins are to eat (or would that be Clarkson!))

The next few days look much more interesting and fortunately that northerly is not forecast for very long, so there is still some hope before winter sets in!

Don't wish winter upon us, its just gone mid october, we've got light easterlies/north easterlies all week, bring on the Pallas's, Bluetails, blue robins etc etc.

So winter birds are your prediction, not late autumn migrants? Not what I would call 'tasty' for late autumn! (although I'm sure JF will come on board with some quip about how pleasant Puffins are to eat (or would that be Clarkson!))

The next few days look much more interesting and fortunately that northerly is not forecast for very long, so there is still some hope before winter sets in!

Seeing as Hume's and Pallas's warblers are already being seen regularly in other areas of the country I would say we are quite deep into "Autumn" already.

Adding that Waxwings are being reported in the north and Redwings and fieldfares were being seen at the start of October shows that winter birds are well on the way.

Of course there is still time for a bluetail or two but winter birds such as thrushes, redpolls and waxwings have been increasing of late.

Perhaps we will see a mixed fall? Early winter birds mixed in with the late autumn migrants? Or is that to good to ask for :t:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back