• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Peregrine Falcon with bi-color black over blue band - Texas (1 Viewer)

Mark B Bartosik

Hi all,

This weekend, in morning dense fog, I found banded juvenile Peregrine in Galveston Bay, Texas. Unfortunately when approaching the falcon somebody drove fast just at her/him and scared it away. Band were: silver metal USGC on the right leg and bi-colored, black over blue, alphanumeric band on the left leg.

From USGSL site: Black/blue bicolor Tundra or Anatum captured off the breeding grounds or subspecies unknown.

So without code letters and numbers things were looking bad. When analyzing photographs I think it could be possible to look and identified part of the code. It look like black part has E and 6, and blue part 1 or I (or J?).

Check additional photos here: http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/164872155

Also fact that bird is a juvenile narrow the possibilities as well as it has a silver band (some places use colored metal USGS bands). Placement of the letters and numbers on the band could help too.

For me it is just a curiosity but maybe the banders are interested enough to try identified this banded falcon.

Regards,

Mark

Attachments

• _X1D8659 PEFA BAND.jpg
    _X1D8659 PEFA BAND.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 31
  • _X1D8596 PEFA BAND.jpg
    _X1D8596 PEFA BAND.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 63
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back