• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Australian field guide "What Bird Is That?" (1 Viewer)

Katy Penland

I have a 1986 printing of the above title (abridged by Peter Roberts) but based on the revised and enlarged edition by A.H. Chisholm., K.A. Hindwood and A.R. McGill. Theirs, of course, was based on Neville W. Cayley's original 1931 hardback.

I'm curious as to what anyone thinks of this book, whether it's worth keeping as a field guide, or best kept on the shelf for posterity?

I've got a 1977 print of the very same book, It's very dog eared, dog chewed more like, one of my Uncles Dobermans got it. It certainly served it's purpose when I was there in 78/79. Keep it on the bookshelf Katy, books are sacred especially bird guides no matter how old.

:bounce:

It's a good curio, and the 1986 version has more up to date info than the original (I've got an early copy from 1946 on my shelves), but of no real use as a field guide. Go for Pizzey, Simpson & Day, Morecombe, or Slater for current, useful field guides.

Thanks to both Mikes! ;)

I definitely wouldn't get rid of it, too much of a bibliophile for that, but I was just curious as to how worthwhile its information still was. I love many of the older guides because so many of them went into more natural history and behaviors than seems to be done now, undoubtedly in the interests of space and concentrating on field marks and range maps. I'm dying to get my hands on a set of Bent's series on NA birds. I borrowed one volume from a friend and had many enjoyable hours just reading the various species accounts. Wonderful. Old, but wonderful.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back