• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Reed Warbler in the Bird Bath! NE.London. (1 Viewer)

KenM

Have been topping up the Bird Bath daily during this current ''heat wave''.
However I've never before (37 years) had a Reed Warbler as a customer!, am wondering if today's occurrence has something to do with the excessive heat the S.East has ''enjoyed'' (if that's the right word?) over the last week?

Can recall seeing images of Acro's and Iduna Warblers shown on Q&A at bird baths taken in the Middle East on passage, but don't recall seeing images taken in more temperate Europe, It may of course be an oversight on my part....if so I'd be interested to know.

Cheers

Attachments

• P2290427.jpeg    Unexpected RW.6..jpg
    P2290427.jpeg Unexpected RW.6..jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 79
  • P2290432.jpeg    Unexpected RW.5..jpg
    P2290432.jpeg Unexpected RW.5..jpg
    254 KB · Views: 72
FWIW the c7 day S.East heat wave (longest period of sustained temps. above 35 degrees) ended today with a 7 degree drop in temperature and wall to wall grey skies. However yesterday afternoon (13th), in contrast to the unusually accommodating Reed Warbler in the Birdbath on Aug.12th, was replaced, by a much more nervous Garden Warbler albeit very briefly.

On balance, I wouldn't have given any consideration at all for either species turning up in the Birdbath, with the former shot from the first floor bedroom window c10m.distant (a sort of Hide shot), and the latter unbelievably from my garden chair sitting just 5m.away!

Am thinking there may well be a correlation between these sustained high temperatures altering the behavioural patterns of what are normally very shy and retiring species into being opportunistic when needs must?

Cheers

Attachments

• P2290564.jpeg   Grdn.Wrblr.at Birdbath 4..jpeg
    P2290564.jpeg Grdn.Wrblr.at Birdbath 4..jpeg
    127.2 KB · Views: 41
What's the bird bath list then Ken ? Two good garden species that I agree, were desperate for a drink and bath. Surprisingly I've had the opposite scenario; very little bird bath activity despite topping up twice a day during the high temperatures. Regular visits to the feeders in the morning and late afternoon but ignore the water. All apart from a big old Woodpigeon that just sat there for a good 10 minutes.

What's the bird bath list then Ken ? Two good garden species that I agree, were desperate for a drink and bath. Surprisingly I've had very little bird bath activity despite topping up twice a day during the high temperatures. Regular visits to the feeders in the morning and late afternoon but ignore the water. All apart from a big old Woodpigeon that just sat there for a good 10 minutes.

Without counting Pat (and probably forgetting some, 37 years is a long time) perhaps over twenty species?

Cheers

Both those are missing from my bird bath list here in a rural setting. I guess Tree Spartow and Turtle Dove are amongst the surprise visitors for me, but both more than ten years gone.

Cheers

I had a Common Whitethroat (and chiffchaffs) taking a bath in mine last summer but every species that comes in the garden either drinks and washes from the bowls on the ground, from the birdbath or from the little wildlife pond.
I do think the hot weather is causing more drinking and bathing but of course always in the breeding season fledging s look forward to getting mites and bugs from nests off their skin and removing the rest of the down. There’s been far less too since adults of most of my garden birds have completed their post-breeding moult so perhaps moult demands more preening and the water helps.

Last edited:
I had a Common Whitethroat (and chiffchaffs)

Common Whitethroat taking advantage of the “facilities” Deb would be most welcome at this end (last year had almost double digit visits during the Autumn), as that would bump up my bathing Warbler list to six species....:eek!: :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back