• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon PF 600mm lens (1 Viewer)

proudpapa56

Where'd you go, stay put!
United States
So I've been saving up for the PF 500mm lens and now there's talk of a PF 600mm lens in the (near?) future. Anyone have any thoughts on how much more that would run? Just wondering if I should just keep saving until the 600 comes out.

The 600PF rumors have been around for a long time. Has there been something recent?

In the f/4 series, the 600mm is about 20% more expensive than the 500mm. Maybe they would keep about the same ratio? So $3600 for the 500/5.6 becomes $4300 for the 600/5.6? That's my guess, but it's only based on what I just said, no Nikon pricing insight.

Marc

No, nothing more recent, or substantial. I'm just getting close to punching the button for the 500PF and was just wondering.

I'd love for this 600mm lens to manifest itself onto the earth plane ! :D

I've been following keenly and haven't heard anything beyond the patents initially being reported on, and then the rumours of the 600 coming first. Of course that wasn't correct and the 500 lobbed first.

The 500 supply was then constrained by difficulties producing the PF element in quantity and strong demand. Unless those process/personnel constraints are addressed then Nikon will have the same issues with the 600. Knowing what a cynical old dinosaur Nikon is I'd almost be tempted to say that Nikon will wait until everyone who wants a 600 has either died of frustration or bought a 500 !

Who knows when a 600 will arrive ? :cat:
What will it cost ? Hopefully under $4K, but don't be surprised if they try and get away with 5 ! :eek!:

If I was Nikon I would have released an upgraded D500S along with the PF 600 f5.6 last year, or latest at the start of this year ........

I would say if you need the 500 now then just get it. The question is a bit academic for me since I'm out of action atm.

Chosun :gh:

I didn't mention in my previous post that I love my 500/5.6. It's what I shoot almost all the time now. I have a tammy 150-600 g2, but I don't use it any more -- I should sell it.

Compared to the 400/2.8 (even the super light Sony) or 500/4, the 500/5.6 is much easier to carry and works really well. I do not try to use it with a 1.4TC any more. At f/8, it just does not perform very well for bird action shots when I need to crop. I recently had my d850 tuned up, maybe I should try it again.

Marc

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back