• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eagle Owl vs Common Kestrel (1 Viewer)

Pau Lucio

Birdwarching Spain: Top wildlife and bird watching
Two days ago after finishing an Eagle owl survey I got the news of a bird kill by electrocution. When I saw it I was really surprise as it had a prey in their tarsus, a common Kestrel (See photo attached). It seems that the Kestrel was sleeping close to the wire and when the Eagle owl took it, the big raptor touched the wire.

It shows how flexible are this bird of prey, feeding on anything. That is the key of they survival!

Attachments

• Eagle Owl vs Kestrel.jpg
    Eagle Owl vs Kestrel.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 226
Sad story - for both. One here took out a Red Kite (last week of May), the two were found trapped against a wire fence. Result was a dead Red Kite and an injured Eagle Owl. She should be coming out of animal hospital shortly - back to find her family hopefully.

Reminds me must get an update....

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back