• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Falcon, Bulgaria (1 Viewer)

petar1

Hi,

Can something be told about the falcon species from these long distance shots?

Location: Close to Veliko Tarnovo (Central Bulgaria), 12th October 2019

Thank you,
Petar

Attachments

• falcon1.JPG
    falcon1.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 192
  • falcon2.JPG
    falcon2.JPG
    20.3 KB · Views: 155
I think, the pale head is at least partly due to lightning, head in sunlight, rest of the bird in shadow.
While a catiuos approach is often better, BOTH pictures shows a typical Hobby to me with long slender, swift-like wings in relation to body.

And I think I can see the right red colour on the trousers and pale, streaked underparts. Or is this wishful thinking? At least, they look so on my bad pictures of Hobbys.

Last edited:
I think, the pale head is at least partly due to lightning, head in sunlight, rest of the bird in shadow.
While a catiuos approach is often better, BOTH pictures shows a typical Hobby to me with long slender, swift-like wings in relation to body.

And I think I can see the right red colour on the trousers. Or is this wishful thinking?

wing shape looks very much Hobby to me

Long tail is good for RFF, but I think the body is not striped, which is good for a mâle RFF (2 cy ?). The head is not white IMO, it is just due a strong light, rather on a dark area that is making more often this "flash" effect than pale areas.

Thank you for the comments! Do you think there is any chance to be Falco eleonorae (Eleonora's falcon)?

My abiding memory of Eleanora's Falcon adjacent to Mount Olympus Greece many years ago, was of an extremely long-winged and tailed Falcon, giving an extremely ''rakish'' look, quite unlike your images. :t:

Cheers

The wing struck me as proportionately lanky and i am still in the RFF camp but it’s not Eleonorae the tail is far too short imo:t:

Laurie -

Long tail is good for RFF, but I think the body is not striped, which is good for a mâle RFF (2 cy ?). The head is not white IMO, it is just due a strong light, rather on a dark area that is making more often this "flash" effect than pale areas.

Looked at the pictures on two different screens now, and I agree with all now, that its not possible to be sure about the underpart streaking now. This bird could well have striped, I still think its possibl with such photos.

I am an expert in shooting bad pictures. Proof, if needed is here:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmGBtoxe Hobby

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmGBrN6e Rff

But for me this bird looks like an IDable Hobby, wings on Rff look broader and not so swiftlike in my experience.

Sorry about lightning, I hope as a non native speaker, my english is as not as bad as my photos.

But for me this bird looks like an IDable Hobby, wings on Rff look broader and not so swiftlike in my experience.

Sorry about lightning, I hope as a non native speaker, my english is as not as bad as my photos.

Is there no overlap (eg males vs females) in wing structure between the two?

English:- everyone loves to pick up on a good misspelling ;) Your language is absolutely fine, better than some natives I'd say ...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back