• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

NEW Kowa 25x-60x Wide Angle Zoom! (1 Viewer)

Il have the new eye-piece in my hands in a couple of weeks.

Will be using it in one of my digiscoping workshops soon. :)

Hi, i've published a "rapid" review of the New Kowa TE11-WZ
I've also done a photographic comparison, with the other Kowa Eyepieces
Best Regards from Italy
Piergiovanni

RJM,

No, I haven't bought an ATX 95 yet. There's a waiting list, and my number is not up for a while.

As far as where the new eyepiece takes Kowa, that remains to be seen when we see the view through it. From the specifications, it looks like it will equal but not exceed the ATX85. The ATX95 has an 8% resolution advantage over the Kowa from aperture alone, and in practice more because of the 20% higher magnification. The magnification gives diminishing returns, but returns nonetheless. In a test I did recently, an optically slightly better sample of the 883 lost out to the ATX95 by about 14% in resolving distance.

So I'm happy that the Kowa is becoming better, but without good eyepieces with higher magnifications, it will not become a serious choice for me or for other birders who place ultimate ID detail detection highest among their priorities.

As for the Zeiss 20-75x zoom on the Diascope 85, I am yet to see a sample that would be not only equal but better in resolution than my current Nikon ED 82 A. The Kowa is, but only with a booster, not with the 20/25-60x zoom.

Kimmo

Interesting. I guess this demonstrates how personal choice comes into it. I tested the Kowa 883 with the standard zoom lens against the Swarovski ATX95 today, in dull overcast conditions. At 60x, the kowa was distinctly sharper and had better colour rendition. I have no idea how you arrive at resolving distance percentages, i just trust my eyes when i look through something. The kowa was better. I sort of wish it wasn't the case, as i was almost looking forward to splashing out on the ATX95, assuming it would be the greatest scope out there. My advice would be put the scopes side by side and look for yourself.

I held off buying the kowa as a little bird told me about this new eyepiece coming soon. Looking forward to seeing it.

I finally got to do a brief side-by-side last week. The AFoV in the new eyepiece is HUGE at 60x. So much so that I could barely see the fieldstop unless I pressed into the eyepiece which made it somewhat less comfortable than the old at high power. I probably should have tried to adjust the eyecup in a notch but it didn't occur to me until after I left the shop. Little if any distortions or field curvature and focus seems to be nearly parfocal. Then again, the old eyepiece gives very similar views albeit at narrower AFoV. Unlike with the Swaro 25-50x, there are no blackout or kidneybeaning issues either.

Direct comparison of the old 20-60x with the new 25-60x wa leave no room for doubt apparently. Birding friend compared the two today with Paul Hackett and was suitably astonished. Available for sale in UK this month pers comm. Available at 629 Euro via quick google trawl.

For those who have tried the new zoom, does it have less eye relief at some or all mags compared to the old zoom? I wear glasses and could use more eye relief in the middle mags on the old zoom, and would be hesitant to pay more for less eye relief.

I'd also note that for those for whom weight is a major concern, the new zoom is 1.8 oz heavier if the Eagle Optics figures are correct.

Jim

Last edited:
Jim,

I will try to remember to measure the eye-reliefs for the new zoom when it arrives. It may be a week or two for that to happen. I'll post my measurement results both for the old and for the new zoom.

Kimmo

For those who have tried the new zoom, does it have less eye relief at some or all mags compared to the old zoom? I wear glasses and could use more eye relief in the middle mags on the old zoom, and would be hesitant to pay more for less eye relief.

I'd also note that for those for whom weight is a major concern, the new zoom is 1.8 oz heavier if the Eagle Optics figures are correct.

Jim

i am told it has 17mm eye relief right through the zoom range

Rgds

Paul

I finally got to do a brief side-by-side last week. The AFoV in the new eyepiece is HUGE at 60x. So much so that I could barely see the fieldstop unless I pressed into the eyepiece which made it somewhat less comfortable than the old at high power. I probably should have tried to adjust the eyecup in a notch but it didn't occur to me until after I left the shop. Little if any distortions or field curvature and focus seems to be nearly parfocal. Then again, the old eyepiece gives very similar views albeit at narrower AFoV. Unlike with the Swaro 25-50x, there are no blackout or kidneybeaning issues either.

I went back to the shop today and spent a little more time with this new eyepiece. I was right in thinking to adjust the eyecup in a notch to make the view more comfortable for me. HOWEVER, I now notice the eyepiece vignettes on the 884 from ~40x on up to 60x appearing as a fuzzy fieldstop. In contrast, the old 10Z as well as the Swaro ATX95 fieldstop appears to stay fairly sharp and defined thru their entire zoom range.

Last edited:
I now notice the eyepiece vignettes on the 884 from ~40x on up to 60x appearing as a fuzzy fieldstop

Rick,
I don't think this is vignetting since at higher magnifications the TFOV, so fieldstop, decreases. Would it be an issue due to reduced eye-relief at those magnifications?

David, not sure what you mean as the fieldstop is a fixed size. It does not open/close like an aperture iris in a camera zoom lens. When this lens zooms to 60x the fieldstop (in this case, the lens retaining ring behind the optical window) moves towards the prism and intrudes into the light cone.

That said, the FoV is so huge at 60x I have to move my eye/head to see it anyway.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back