• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wind River 8x42 Cascades (1 Viewer)

The earliest ones did have pull up eye cups and were not phase corrected. That model has been a couple of different binoculars under the same name, so I do not remember if the phase correction came during or after the pull up eye cup. After I think.

You might be well served by calling Leupold Technical Service and asking.

Thank you Steve. I took your advice, called Leupold Service who told me that all cascade models were phase corrected!
John

John,

That is and is not entirely correct.

To my knowledge only the current roof prism Cascade is currently in production. With that thought in mind they are correct. All Cascade models (all one of them) is phase coated.

On the other hand, there was a time when the Cascade was not phase coated and it did have conventional eyecups. It only had "L-coat" treatment and not phase coating...as did the Katmai at that time. Three or so years ago Leupold added phasecoating to both of these models.

To make matters a bit more confusing there was also the Cascade porro prism model. Even in comparison to the current phase coated roof prism Cascade the porro prism model had better overall image quality (brighter, sharper, larger sweet spot and a wider field of view). Since both were/are internal focus models there really was not an advantage to the roof version over the porro prism.

Thank you Frank. When I called Leupold, I was very specific in stating that the bins I was enquiring about had the pull up eyecups and were definitely an older model than the current ones with the twist up eyecups. At that point the technical service advisor stated that all of the roof cascades were phase corrected. So I am still somewhat confused, both Steve and yourself certainly seem to know Leupold bins better than I. My reason for asking is that I got quite a good buy on a used pair, and like their ergonomics and, so far, their performance. They are remarkably close to my LX's and Ultravids at significantly less weight.
Thanks again, John

Can I ask why you think you received a pair that did no have phasecoating? The reason I ask is because the difference between a phase coated and non-phase coated roof prism binocular has always been fairly obvious to me. The image lacks contrast and most importantly apparent sharpness.

I guess my point would be that if you are happy with the image quality (which it sounds like you are) then why worry about whether or not they have phasecoating? Would you return them and try for a newer pair if you had this knowledge?

Just curious.

Hi Frank,
I have only just got them, and while they were a very reasonable price, I still like to have ALL the facts, where possible, about any of my 'toys'! They probably are phase corrected, they appear 'crisper' than some B&L classic 7x35 roofs and an earlier 7x35 Swift Audobon model 728 that I have in my collection. The option to return does not exist, but I might re-sell them if they prove unsatisfactory in any way.
Regards, John

Last edited:
John,

A suggestion if I might?

If you feel up to it then call Leupold back. Chances are that you will not get the same person, especially at a company as large as Leupold. Check then serial number on your binocular before calling. Ask them what the serial number range was when the Cascades started to become phase-coated. They should be able to tell you this as other companies have provided similar services for these very type of reasons.

Just a thought...if you want the peace of mind.

John, I have an old pair of Swarovski 7x30 SLC without the phase coating and it doesn't have the WP window and have had some picky people [Brock] look through it and like it. I used booster and resolution charts and it actually beat out a Nikon 7x35 Action porro. I have never compared it to newer model of 8x30 or 7x30 SLC. I would imagine I would see a difference.
Regards,Steve

Thank you Steve and Frank,
I raised the question on another post about how to test for phase correction. Using the info from Steve C, I determined that my cascades are phase corrected. I will be posting the results of my tests on the site where I had asked the original question.
Regards, John

Thank you Steve and Frank,
I raised the question on another post about how to test for phase correction. Using the info from Steve C, I determined that my cascades are phase corrected. I will be posting the results of my tests on the site where I had asked the original question.
Regards, John

Thanks for the praise, but I mooreorless think the credit goes to that Steve, not this one. ;) Anyway, I'm glad you got it figured out.

Frank,

The only chance I have had with the Cascade Porro is a look through one at a sporting goods store just after they first came out. I do not remember enough from that brief encounter to recall much about them.

Ha! I have to be more specific. I was "talking" to Steve Moore with my last question.

However, I do have a pair that I need to send your way eventually too Steve C.

;)

I think you are missing out Steve M. Let me know if you ever want to take a look through one. I would be more than happy to send one out. I know what a good judge of porros you are.

;)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back