• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

East Sutherland Birding (1 Viewer)

Dmacaskill

Went out for a walk yesterday morning,along the road to the track up to loch lannsaidh,past the Dornoch waterworks.The snow was about10 inches deep and the loch was frozen,I took shelter from the freezing wind by the boathouse,It wasn"t long before i heard the cronking calls of a raven,i looked round and two birds were checking me out,before flying off over the hill doing their tumbling flight.A little while later 17 red grouse flew across the loch and settled down on top of the snow at the far end of the loch. Nearby a buzzard was flying towards the grouse then they flew off,3 more ravens came over.As i scanned the hills i could see several groups of red grouse i counted 27 .Best of all was a male black grouse that was digging in the snow near to the boathouse.As i walked back home 2 roe deer were seen running off flushing 6more red grouse.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back