• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Download Xeno-canto sounds to iPod touch (1 Viewer)

You can download sounds directly from xeno-canto onto your computer and then you should just be able to transfer them to your itunes library fairly easily.

Hi Mike,

I have put a fair number of these files onto my iPod already. But as far as I know, it is (as Andrew says) only possible as a two-stage process; download the files to your computer, import into iTunes, and then drag them over into the iPod (I suppose that's a three-stage process, really).

By the way, I don't recommend doing the "full sync" to copy files, unless you want absolutely everything on your iTunes library (and nothing else!) on the iPod.

I just made a set of "playlists" in iTunes, each named for a different country, and add new birds to that country as I need them.

I have done this 2 step process a few times but has twice resulted in issues with the ipod. A track is selected and then the ipod just scrolls through the tracks without playing anything (as if skipping). I needed to reboot ipod on once occasion, on the other the ipod was a lost cause. No idea as to what happened.....

Once the files are in iTunes, I'm clear about getting them into a new playlist.

Sorry to be so thick about this, but it's the steps before the above that are unclear for me:

1. How do you download the Xeno Canto bird sound files to your computer?

2. Where on your computer do you put them, in order to have them all in one place?

3. How do you download from your computer location to iTunes?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike this is so easy.

What I recently did for Thailand bird tracks was create a folder on my desktop entitled 'Thai bird sounds' then in Xeno-Canto click on the individual track I wanted (click on the icon that looks like a floppy disc) then save to my Thai Bird Sounds folder. When I had all the tracks that I wanted open up iTunes. Make sure that iTunes is not in full screen mode then drag and drop the Thai bird Sounds folder into your playlist section in iTunes. Once the folder appears in iTunes then attach your iPod/iPhone and sync the folder to your device and Hey Presto you have 'em!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back