• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Golden Eagles (1 Viewer)

Fatboy

Last Monday down Findhorn Valley in the bonny highlands of Scotland a sighting of two Golden Eagles - a young bird (lots of white on the underside of its wings) and an older bird. Circled for about 20mins then dissapeared.

At one point the younger bird landed aprox 300yds away for about 30 seconds - absolutley amazing!

i know how you feel! - they really are awesome birds, and i still get goosebumps watching them. one of natures wonders.

It landed just long enough for me to get my camera attached to my scope then flew off before I could get a picture! - cracking view though.

Fatboy said:
It landed just long enough for me to get my camera attached to my scope then flew off before I could get a picture! - cracking view though.
The story of my life! Numerous shots (not eagles, just everything) of tail feathers leaving camera left and/or empty branches. Or if it's on the water, bubbles.

I'm going to Aviemore next month for a few days, and hopefully having trip down Findhorn valley. I hope I get views of Golden Eagles like you had Fatboy. Nice one!

I dug out one of my experiences, inspired by yours! They are superb birds and I never tire of seeing them. Excellent sighting!

Vipers said:
I'm going to Aviemore next month for a few days, and hopefully having trip down Findhorn valley. I hope I get views of Golden Eagles like you had Fatboy. Nice one!

I'm having a week in Nethy Bridge from April 23rd then a week on Skye the following week. You can guarantee that I will be douing Findhorn Valley as I love it there. Hopefully a Goldie will give me the views I am hoping for.

Andrew said:
Thanks, you have given me heart, I shall be up there next week!

You may be there a bit early Andrew but just in case, don't forget Sloch Summit on the A19. Park up on the right hand side (Aviemore end) and look at the lower part of the hillside for Ring Ouzel. I have also had Golden Eagle and Osprey over my head there as well.

Reader said:
You may be there a bit early Andrew but just in case, don't forget Sloch Summit on the A19. Park up on the right hand side (Aviemore end) and look at the lower part of the hillside for Ring Ouzel. I have also had Golden Eagle and Osprey over my head there as well.
I'll assume you mean A9 (and Slochd) and not A19. Unless there are golden eagles in Middlesbrough;)

Last edited:
Reader said:
Thanks for that tip of Reader.

Reader said:
Nice to see someone looking out for the deliberate mistakes. lol

Been to Scotland twice, waited for hours at findhorn and never seen one yet :-( I'll be back one day to try again.

Think i might try for the one at Haweswater if i get the chance over Easter.

Cheers

Jeff

I went to Lochranza Isle of Arran 3 times a year for 4-5 year with the hope of seeing G.Eagle and then it happened one flew low over my head and round a hill its shadow cast over the heather. A kestrel coming up to nip its tail it was magical only seen so close that one year and only for the most 5 minutes but well worth the wait and still hope to see again..

Andrew said:
Trying to dampen my spirits Jeff!?

No, that was half the enjoyment, waiting.... and waiting..... and waiting, then finally over the horizon...... a buzzard :-(
Most people are luckier than me, so you'll get 'em easy ;-)
Best of luck, i'll be back to try again.......

Jeff

I know it's the luck of the draw, but for the record it was 1:45pm and we were sat on a rock aprox 2 miles south of the car park at the end of the track.

(I originally spent about a half hour typing up lots of details then my computer crashed so sorry for the short post. It was a really good story too, we had cheese and pickle sandwiches and orange kitkats - what a day!)

BTW "Reader" if you're interested, the Heather Brae hotel in Nethy Bridge serves Scotlands champion beer "Trade Winds" by the Cairngorm brewery (located on Dalfaber Ind Est, Aviemore - worth a visit, sells bottles direct to the public £19 for 12 bottles!) B :)

Fatboy said:
BTW "Reader" if you're interested, the Heather Brae hotel in Nethy Bridge serves Scotlands champion beer "Trade Winds" by the Cairngorm brewery (located on Dalfaber Ind Est, Aviemore - worth a visit, sells bottles direct to the public £19 for 12 bottles!) B :)

Thanks for the tip Fatboy but unfortunately (or fortunately for me) I don't drink. I have been around this area so many times and have only ever called into a bar once and that was in Aviemore.

Still I am very much looking forward to my fortnight in Scotland as i love the place.

Reader said:
Thanks for the tip Fatboy but unfortunately (or fortunately for me) I don't drink. I have been around this area so many times and have only ever called into a bar once and that was in Aviemore.

Still I am very much looking forward to my fortnight in Scotland as i love the place.

So do we - I'm sure you know lots of good places but I'd be more than happy to share great locations for Ospreys and Slavonian Grebes - PM me if anyone is interested. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back