• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Holding its breath???? (2 Viewers)

MlZad

On-duty SnakeMan, 0-24h
While writing/translating the text for the Dice Snake (Natrix tessellata tessellata) for my web page, I came across this written in my field guide:

"...regularly spending much of its time in water. Usually found below 1000m but can extend 2200m. Often remains beneath surface for long periods, even hours."

From the text I concluded that they mean beneath the surface of the water, but for hours?? I know that the Grass Snake (Natrix natrix helvetica subspecies) can hold its breath for 30 min, and they grow up to 200 m! The Dice Snake grows only to about 130 cm, but is usually under 80 cm, so it holding its breath for hours is puzzling to me... is that true, or is it a mistake in the text?

btw- the book is "Reptiles & Amphibians of Britain and Europe", Collins Field Guide, by N. Arnold & D. Ovenden

Thanks for your help.

I've seen large Boa constrictor individuals go about an hour underwater without breathing, but several hours seems excessive for any snake (besides marine species). The book probably meant that they will sit in water for several hours and only surface to breathe when necessary without leaving the water.

While writing/translating the text for the Dice Snake (Natrix tessellata tessellata) for my web page, I came across this written in my field guide:

"...regularly spending much of its time in water. Usually found below 1000m but can extend 2200m. Often remains beneath surface for long periods, even hours."

From the text I concluded that they mean beneath the surface of the water, but for hours?? I know that the Grass Snake (Natrix natrix helvetica subspecies) can hold its breath for 30 min, and they grow up to 200 m! The Dice Snake grows only to about 130 cm, but is usually under 80 cm, so it holding its breath for hours is puzzling to me... is that true, or is it a mistake in the text?

btw- the book is "Reptiles & Amphibians of Britain and Europe", Collins Field Guide, by N. Arnold & D. Ovenden

Thanks for your help.

A minor misunderstanding here. These measurements are not for water, but for land - they just wrote the text in a very confusing way and one can't help wondering if the person who wrote this section in the book was unaware of this, too, and simply misquoted it from another book. Anyhow, the Dice Snake is normally found at altitudes below 1000 m (what you, without being too specific, could call "lowlands"), but can sometimes be seen at altitudes as high as 2200 m.

Last edited:
I know about the measurements, and that is not my question... I know that they don't dive to depths of a kilometer, because they live in rivers and lakes...
My question is this: Does the part "Often remains beneath surface for long periods, even hours" mean that they stay under the surface of the water (without going for air) or surface of land, because I know that I heard that Natrix natrix helvetica can hold its breath for longest (30 min) of the European species, so I'm puzzled by that, not the distribution height...
Could it just be the fact that they spend so much time in the water and that they do go to the surface to breathe (like Natalie said) and that they forgot to write that part?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back