• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor, Germany (1 Viewer)

Not exactly "typical" in my experience, but I've seen a few similar ones. I guess you could say that the basic pattern, sans colours, looks pretty typical, and the yellowish tone by itself isn't terribly rare either, it's just variable in its extent.

Form

‘A piece of paper one writes on’

If form can have more than one meaning, why can’t phase?

So does it? Show me how the word phase, can be correctly used to refer to something that will not alter it's state or appearance and I'll concede the point.

The fact is that this term has been wrongly applied by many for a very long time, it has been discussed before but if you want to reinvent the meaning just to be argumentative, then that's up to you, carry on.

Last edited:
I've literally seen dozens of similar Buzzards here in Germany. Even though of course there's great variation between Common Buzzards in general and light morph birds in particular this individual didn't stick out to me as especially interesting. Of course 'typical' might not have been the best wording, however it's not an uncommon sight here.
However, if others don't see this morph regularly, I wonder if there might be a geographical component to this?!

Maffong

I've literally seen dozens of similar Buzzards here in Germany. Even though of course there's great variation between Common Buzzards in general and light morph birds in particular this individual didn't stick out to me as especially interesting. Of course 'typical' might not have been the best wording, however it's not an uncommon sight here.
However, if others don't see this morph regularly, I wonder if there might be a geographical component to this?!

Maffong

I can't speak for other parts of the UK but....in my locality (NE.London) the Buzzards are much of a much-ness....typical shown, and as far removed from the OP's as it might get?

Cheers

Attachments

• P1210838.jpeg Buzby hacked off by Crow.jpeg
    P1210838.jpeg Buzby hacked off by Crow.jpeg
    66.3 KB · Views: 62
I can't speak for other parts of the UK but....in my locality (NE.London) the Buzzards are much of a much-ness....typical shown, and as far removed from the OP's as it might get?

Cheers

Agree Ken. I've never seen a Buzzard like the OP's in the UK, though some very pale ones in France.

Cheers
That one looks typical indeed, but I've seen even darker ones in some places, some even evoking the image of a Harris' Hawk or Black Hawk.
I think the yellowish ones like the OP's (or the one that I've seen several times on my local patch) are probably a lot less common outside of (Northern) Germany. We also have some very pale individuals over here.

So does it? Show me how the word phase, can be correctly used to refer to something that will not alter it's state or appearance and I'll concede the point.

The fact is that this term has been wrongly applied by many for a very long time, it has been discussed before but if you want to reinvent the meaning just to be argumentative, then that's up to you, carry on.

Nobody is reinventing the word, phase is correctly applied - in zoological terms, it can refer to a 'genetic variety of an animal's coloration'

Even says so in the Oxford Dictionary :)

Reinvent the meaning just to be argumentative? Classy.

Without looking in the dictionary....phase to my mind, means that which is temporary, transient, passing....bit like adolescence....and for that you won't need to look far on this forum.

I think that most people would use the word as a ''non-permanent'' noun.....no?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back