• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Will they come back? (1 Viewer)

Soyeb

"Im the Boogeyman and im coming to getcha"
:hi:
Hi all I would just like to say that my garage has been completed and we are now cleaning up the garden. After we have done that we will start to plant some small trees and shrubs for the birds in the back garden. But I have a question will the birds like blackbirds, blue tits, robins etc come back to my back because it has been a 2 months since they last visited. Sparrows were the only birds that visited the back garden even though it was a mess. Yesterday I herd two redwings doing some different sounds has anyone herd that? and I have also seen some fieldfares around my area. last night I herd a redwing so I looked up the sky to see and instead I saw a shooting star my friend (who doesnt do birdwatching) was also there and he saw it too.
Happy birdwatching!

Hello Soyeb and welcome to Bird Forum.

I would just do as you have planned.....concentrate on getting the garden planted up and , in the meantime, put out a few feeders ( even if the garden is jut a sea of bare mud, and the birds WILL come back!
It may take a few days, or even weeks, but once the first Blue Tit ( it's usually a member of the Tit family who's natural curiosity finds the feeders first! ) realises that there's free food on offer then word soon gets around and the birds flood back :t:

I had the same thing happen in our house in the centre of North Shields - no birds whatsoever until I put out feeders and then it took two days before they were found and within a week the feeders were constantly busy!

One hint though - which I wished I'd thought of doing at North Shields - is to keep a diary/notebook of sightings....first birds to arrive, when you put out new foods etc and how quickly they were snapped up, which foodstuffs worked and which didn't, what flowers/insects etc arrive in the garden.....it's all really fascinating to look back on months/years later.

But, most of all, just ENJOY it all - it's a very fascinating facet of our brilliant hobby! :clap:

Gill

Encouragement.

Soyeb said:
:hi:
Hi all I would just like to say that my garage has been completed and we are now cleaning up the garden. After we have done that we will start to plant some small trees and shrubs for the birds in the back garden. But I have a question will the birds like blackbirds, blue tits, robins etc come back to my back because it has been a 2 months since they last visited. Sparrows were the only birds that visited the back garden even though it was a mess. Yesterday I herd two redwings doing some different sounds has anyone herd that? and I have also seen some fieldfares around my area. last night I herd a redwing so I looked up the sky to see and instead I saw a shooting star my friend (who doesnt do birdwatching) was also there and he saw it too.
Happy birdwatching!

Hi Soyeb.

I recall you posting on the BEEB site re. the building of your garage, and the state of the garden because of it. Like Gill, I'm sure the birds will come back. If you've started feeding again throw out some soaked bread, and that should encourage the Starlings to come in, and once other birds see them feeding they will be in to check it out. Hope it works should you try it. Whatever you do I wish you good luck, because I know what it's like to be without birds feeding in the garden for just a short while; I didn't like it.

All the best.
Baz. :hi:

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back