• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Viewing Saturn (1 Viewer)

Dd61999,

To separate Mizar, the double star 14.4 arcseconds separation and unequal brightness, I use variable cloud with the Canon 10x30 IS. There is a best brightness for this task.

The Pentax 8-20x24 binocular was particularly good for this type of observation.

The crescent of Venus was beautiful in the 5x25 Foton high quality binocular, but in twilight. Absolutely sharp and small.
Some can see this Venus crescent without optical aid. The doubters say that this is impossible because Venus is too bright and the observers have astigmatism.
Not so, one needs the ideal amount of twilight.
Saturn and Jupiter in full daylight are incredibly dim in a binocular or telescope. Venus is nice in daylight.

I have seen Jupiter many times with the Sun above the horizon without optical aid, and Mars once.
Never Mercury, but one observer has seen this in daylight.

Regards,
B.

Last edited:
If I said in isolation that the old Pentax 8-20x24 zoom binocular was better than a Swarovski 15x56 SLC in detecting Saturn's rings, members here would scoff at such a suggestion.

Perhaps after reading this thread, they may like to reconsider their objections to such heresy.

Regards,
B.

If I said in isolation that the old Pentax 8-20x24 zoom binocular was better than a Swarovski 15x56 SLC in detecting Saturn's rings, members here would scoff at such a suggestion.

Perhaps after reading this thread, they may like to reconsider their objections to such heresy.

Regards,
B.

They might scoff here, but in astronomy forums. The three Alpha glass companies aren’t talked as much and many still prefer Porro binoculars. Different world

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back