• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

celestron 80ed and olympus e-3 (1 Viewer)

Paul & Musoman, he may have gone to the dark side but I bet he'll be back one day, sooner or later, directly or re-incarnated (as in cyber sense).

Mooreorless, don't crack yourself up. You are my sole comrade in arms on our jouney. Don't leave me alone..... Celestron wise LOL.

No, I haven't gone over to "the dark side" whatever that mean? (Canikon? ;-) )

cannot add much to whats been said about these scopes. I use my celestron as much as I can. I have flocked it, and modify it as much as I can (away with the clamps to keep weight down. and camo. It performs as expected, having the same glass as its mates (skywatcher/orion etc). My shooting is all without converters, and as close the birds as I can, and preferebly the smaller birds, but I take whatever birds in front of me...as long it's close enough.
here's some from yesterday.

Attachments

• P9072817.jpg
    P9072817.jpg
    355.3 KB · Views: 107
  • P9072830.jpg
    P9072830.jpg
    325.8 KB · Views: 100
  • P1012870.jpg
    P1012870.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 104
  • P1012869.jpg
    P1012869.jpg
    324.6 KB · Views: 210
  • P9072859.jpg
    P9072859.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 97
The Magpie is really well captured, exposed etc. And good advice, where possible get as close as you can and use the least magnification aids as possible.

Paul.

Thanks. The magpie is uncropped, and, not sure, but perhaps 15-20 meters. If I got closer they flew off (was 2 of them)

Well, with my 2x teleconverter I loose too much light, so I use it rarely. It's doable, and I would like to try it out more often. Not sure though how "good" this one is, it's an OM fit, "Erno HQ 7 multi coated auto tele converter for OM. Japan" .

I think that the 2x crop way of thinking (always comparing with 35mm) does not always function for me. I mean, the close I can get with 600mm with my E-3, doesn't gets me closer just by thinking it's 120mm in 35mm. If I would to shoot both, then the difference would be noticeable - but since I don't, then it's hard to tell yourself you're shooting with 1200mm. The bird isn't any closer... One wants always to get closer :)

I guess my short answer is - it depends. ;-)

cango, so glad you did not went over to the dark side. The dark side here would mean other than Astro scope. It could be spotting scope, DSLR lenses or whatever.

Beautiful setup you got there. What that plastic sheet you have around the scope and mounting? Camouflage or rain/dew protector? That additional bracket hooking up your DSLR to scope, how much weight did it added. Must be solid like a canon now.

the "plastic sheet" is not really plastic, but a thin camo net I sliced up and put it around. It doesn't really do much... just for fun :)

I made a "bar" sturdy enough and adapted so it could fit the tripod mount. I just bolted it right into the scope, as Paul have suggested earlier. (just drilled three holes)

my extension tube is 80mm. I prefer as near focus I can get, and yes, I cannot focus 100m away, but for me those pics are not worth it.
I also fitted a "relief"-piece to the extension tube, because of the weight to the focusing mechanism the E-3 adds when fully extended.

Attachments

• P1012875.jpg
    P1012875.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 83
  • P1012876.jpg
    P1012876.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 71
  • P1012877.jpg
    P1012877.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 79
  • P1012880.jpg
    P1012880.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 75
  • P1012879.jpg
    P1012879.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 95
Cango, thanks for your very elaborate photos and explanation. You can get that setup certified fit for Afghanistan LOL. Should do the same for mine. I might even add in a TC plus extension tube between the camera and TC depending on performance. Yeah, I wouldn't need to shoot anything more than a 100 meter.

mooreorless, Star Wars are already out of date. Our cyber wars are more advanced, we do not need to aim sight but hit targets without even know where they are LOL.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back