• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown Bird In Tennessee, United States (1 Viewer)

Seekeroftruth

I saw a bird in Tennessee a few days ago which looks eerily similar to the Common Blackbird or Eurasian Blackbird.

It was solid jet black, with an orangish yellow beak. After staring at it for a few minutes, I noticed that it had a green sheen on its wing feathers. This had not been obvious at first. It had no other markings or patterns.

I did not realize at the time that the common blackbird is not normally found in the united states.

I've looked at all the black colored birds in the united states... starling, cowbird, grackle, crow, raven, ect. Nothing matches. The starling's beak is too lightly colored and has patterns which would have been seen at that distance. The other birds have black beaks.

I have looked a birds from other countries and have seen no matches. Is it possible this could be a rare hybrid of a common blackbird and some other black bird which has a green sheen, such as a starling, cowbird, or grackle? And that it somehow flew to Tennessee. It seems unlikely but I know what I saw.

I wish I had gotten a picture but I didn't know how to use the zoom on my camera at the time.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back