• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Large feather ID - Oregon, USA (1 Viewer)

coltrv

My apologies if I’m posting this in the wrong forum.

My dad has had this feather for as long as I can remember. He says it’s from a red-tailed hawk, but it doesn’t seem to match any of the pictures I can find on the internet. It’s about 13.5 inches long (~34 cm). I believe he found it somewhere in Oregon, although the exact location and date are unknown.

Attachments

• C1B5174E-8F5A-4D90-86FA-891D826A96A5.jpeg
    C1B5174E-8F5A-4D90-86FA-891D826A96A5.jpeg
    551.9 KB · Views: 43
You've posted it the right section now hopefully someone will have an answer for you cause I don't think it is from a Red-tailed.

Did some research, I think it’s a peacock flight feather, I think they’re often used for quill pens. Maybe my dad was lying to me about finding it.

Isn't a feather of that size indicating a grouse or turkey? There is more information in the pattern of the feather but I cannot figure out what it means ...

Niels

All I can find is stores selling peacock feathers that look just like mine, such as this one. Note the similarities between the two, such as the reddish-brown patch towards the bottom of the feather. I wish I could find more information about these feathers since the only ones I can find are being sold from obscure websites.

Attachments

• BCC4828E-6F8C-4080-A290-1C9065436AFD.jpeg
    BCC4828E-6F8C-4080-A290-1C9065436AFD.jpeg
    134.1 KB · Views: 19
My dad has had this feather for as long as I can remember. He says it’s from a red-tailed hawk, but it doesn’t seem to match any of the pictures I can find on the internet. It’s about 13.5 inches long (~34 cm). I believe he found it somewhere in Oregon, although the exact location and date are unknown.

Did some research, I think it’s a peacock flight feather, I think they’re often used for quill pens. Maybe my dad was lying to me about finding it.
Some people with large gardens keep Peacocks as decorative pets, it could easily be he found a feather dropped by one of these, it doesn't have to be from a shop :t:

it could easily be he found a feather dropped by one of these, it doesn't have to be from a shop
Yeah I realized that. I think he found it at a job site when he was working as a landscaper, so maybe a peacock lived nearby and he didn’t realize it was a peacock feather.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back