• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Iora Help (1 Viewer)

TheMcNeills

Just back from a fantastic trip to Sri Lanka and I recorded and photographed a bird I believe may be a Marshall's Iora. I understand that this would be a quite a good bird for Ceylon and would love some council. If you have experience, please take a look and give a listen.

Cheers,

Roger

Attachments

• Iora.jpg
    Iora.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 116
  • Take211.mp3
    473.5 KB · Views: 69
Yes, that was my understanging too, but my local driver/guide stated that for the past 6 months or so he has been seeing Marshall's at this location. I have also been sent a few internet posts about populations of Marshall's now being found in Sri Lanka. I would have thought Common too, but the vocalisation really sounds Marshall esque...

We too have just been to Sri Lanka. However, the bird that our guide identified as an Irora was very yellow with a single white stripe along the wing. Nothing like the usual wing pattern that we have seen in India.
Any thoughts?
Many thanks

This is a female Common Iora: the greenish tail without obvious white is a giveaway.

Marshall's Iora does occur in SE Sri Lanka, rediscovered there in 2006 after 50ish years. It's also been rediscovered in various parts of S India too, where it can be locally common (and does co-occur with Common Iora).

Have just bought the new Grimmett book. The Iora I was describing is a sub species: br multicolor. It is found in South India and Sri Lanka.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back