• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Green Kingfisher (SE Arizona)?? (1 Viewer)

cascavel

Birding newbie
Hello all,

I'm new to the forums and also to birding. My interest started very recently after getting a new camera and some good telephoto lenses. Now I've decided to try and record as many of our local feathered friends as I can.
Someone had mentioned that a Green KF would be a fun bird to find and photo so I was hoping to find out if anyone has had luck finding them along the San Pedro or Santa Cruz rivers in Arizona?? Maybe the idea of finding one is unrealistic but that is what is so appealing to me.

Brendan

I visited SEAZ for about a week in May 2006. I did *not* get Green Kingfisher, but the San Pedro Riparian Natural Conservation Area or something like that is, relatively speaking, reliable.

Brendan,
Hello and welcome to the forum. I have not heard of any Green Kingfishers at the San Pedro this year. There were one or two hanging out there last winter. A good place to watch for Arizona rarities is http://www.birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/AZNM.html

If you want to see an interesting bird that we don't see in Arizona look for a post on the Northern Jacana. I haven't been able to get up to see it but there has been one hanging around most of the winter at a golf course near Phoenix.
Hope this helps and happy birding.
Lisa

Thanks very much Lisa. I will keep an eye on that site in hopes of a future spotting of the GKF. I will also look into that golf course and see if I can't manage a photo or two.

Thanks very much Lisa. I will keep an eye on that site in hopes of a future spotting of the GKF. I will also look into that golf course and see if I can't manage a photo or two.

FYI: When I was there in December, birders were not permitted to go on the golf course to look at the bird. Instead, you have to look at the ponds on the course from the surrounding area, so the bird will be at a fair distance. If you do manage to see it, you will probably need to digiscope or use a very long lens (more than 500 mm) to get a decent photo.

Best,
Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back