• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

September Moths 2010 (1 Viewer)

socksitis

At last some new moths for me,
Feathered Rustic NFG
Frosted Orange NFY
Antler
Rosy Rustic
Large Yellow Underwing

Had my first ever Copper Underwing on the 23rd August, well pleased.
Looking forward to those Autumn specials

Quite a good night last night with 18 spp.
Bulrush wainscot and autumnal rustic were NFY. other goodies were 2 sallows and July highflyer. Good numbers too, with 18 rosy rustics being notable.

Rob

Another good haul last night ,the first time the temp has reached double figures at night in two weeks! 27 species from 127 moths,commonest moths were Autumnal rustic-18, Black rustic-16 ,Rosy rustic-10,other notables were Pale eggar-2, Haworth`s minor-2 and Crescent-3. 3 NFM were Small wainscot, Bulrush wainscot and Angle-striped sallow (all pictured).

Attachments

• 1st september 10 002.JPG
    1st september 10 002.JPG
    167.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 1st september 10 004.jpg
    1st september 10 004.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 1st september 10 003.jpg
    1st september 10 003.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 56
Considering it was a cool night...I was quite pleased with 23 moths of 8 species...Highlights being Orange Swift and Centre Barred Sallow a life tick, plus a micro that I haven't been able to ID, due to not having any micro reference, although having had this sp before on a number of occasions.

cheers ;)

Attachments

• IMG_3427.jpg
    IMG_3427.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_3429.jpg
    IMG_3429.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_3435.jpg
    IMG_3435.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 108
Not much of note here last night (smartest was Swallow Prominent) but Light Emeralds are starting to build up again and LYUWs are finally appearing in larger numbers with 64 last night alone.

Lots of Small Coppers, Commas, Brimstones and a couple of Chalk-hill Blues at Goodwood today.

robhope

Egrets, I've had a few

Three new for the year last night included:

Angle Shades
Dusky Thorn
The Brick

Attachments

• Angle Shades.JPG
    Angle Shades.JPG
    378.7 KB · Views: 53
  • Dusky Thorn.JPG
    Dusky Thorn.JPG
    335.2 KB · Views: 61
  • The Brick.JPG
    The Brick.JPG
    390 KB · Views: 72
Orange Swift and Rosy Rustic new for year from last night's catch of 40+ species. Most abundant - Vine's Rustic (40) and Straw Underwing (19). Large Yellow Underwings increasing. First 2 Light Emeralds since early summer.

Nerine

Attachments

• Rosy Rustic 1 Sep.jpg
    Rosy Rustic 1 Sep.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 50
  • Orange Swift 1 Sep.jpg
    Orange Swift 1 Sep.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Clear skies and one million stars showing last night and temperatures at around 9 degrees. Not many moths, but one new for the year, a Flounced Chestnut.
Probably many from previous nights, but 7 Clifden Nonpareil in the traps was quite a sight!

Attachments

• Flounced Chestnut.JPG
    Flounced Chestnut.JPG
    309.7 KB · Views: 51
30+ LYU's in the trap last night along with a single Pale Mottled Willow. A trip to the New Forest today yielded a couple of Brown China-marks and a Feathered Gothic (thanks to Kalle for the confirmation).

robhope

Egrets, I've had a few

Attachments

• Brown China-mark 1.jpg
    Brown China-mark 1.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 45
  • Brown China-mark 2.jpg
    Brown China-mark 2.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 46
  • Feathered Gothic.jpg
    Feathered Gothic.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 46
Had a relatively productive night...33 moths of 13 species...highlights being my 4th RubyTiger of the year!, Centre Barred Sallow and a Wainscott sp?

cheers :stuck:

Attachments

• IMG_3444.jpg
    IMG_3444.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 57
Last night was ok for the circumstances, cold (temp dropped to 4 deg!) and clear skies. 21 species of 46 moths and two new for me, Brindled Green and Barred Sallow.

Attachments

• Barred Sallow.JPG
    Barred Sallow.JPG
    335.5 KB · Views: 64
  • Brindled Green.JPG
    Brindled Green.JPG
    383.3 KB · Views: 52
Only the one moth of note trapped last night - The Streak, a much needed NFM!!
Hopefull tonight though, with cloud cover and a forcast minimum 13 Deg. overnight, should get something??

Not seen much so far in Sept but did get my first oak lutestring and common wainscot of the year on Friday night. Otherwise, mostly square-spot rustics, six-striped rustics and feathered gothics.
My camera is refusing to download so no pix.
Ken

Some fantastic images on the wildlife galleries link Ken. Makes me very jealous though...

robhope

Egrets, I've had a few

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back