• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nightjar I.D. please.. (1 Viewer)

Dr Manjeet Singh

Dr.Manjeet Singh
To-day at 12.45pm had gone to my patch..opps Mud-Flat and pond..scrub land with some secondery trees and with low lying seeps at Pandamaran-jaya,Port Klang..for the first time saw this bird under the canopy on the foot trail made my me..darkish brown,big eyes with pale ring around the eye and mouth was flattened with serriated edges..had time for one shot before it flew low and vanished about 100 yrds away in the dark under growth..noticed white-wing patch but didnt notice if there was a white patch in the tail...I know it is Nightjar but what type..Hope some can I.D. it from my not so good picture..Thanks in Advance.Regards and sorry for the trouble.The primaries had linear white patch .3 in a row seen in the picture.Hope this helps..Thank you all.

Attachments

• tn-night_filtered.jpg
    tn-night_filtered.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 171
Here

Great find Dr M. I can't see too many people queueing up to I.D. this although your photo is of excellent quality. I think it's going to come down to range so I'm going for the obvious choice, Phillippine Nightjar. ;) Although Indian Nightjar looks as dark as your bird.

I'm sure you'll find the answer here http://www.orientalbirdimages.org/birdimages.php?action=birdfamily&Bird_Family_ID=86&PHPSESSID=6e7cf7016587be5165b245137e84bef3 if you get time before someone with knowledge of Nightjars in the region reply.

Dave J

Last edited:
Hey Doc,

I was going to give you a call earlier and come over, wish I had now....Saturday maybe? Will call you tomorrow afternoon.

Nightjar - It is a Large-tailed. See how rufous the cheeks are, bordered by pale supercillium, moustachial stripe and pale patch on the side of the neck. Also prime habitat for it. If you go back in the vening you will hear them giving the 'tonk...tonk' call.

Thanks James and Redeyevideo for the I.D..:clap: :clap: .yes James was hoping you'll call also saw a pair of Rufus Woodpecker there but couldnt get a shot..:'D :'D B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back