• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Never seen a Seabird Colony! (1 Viewer)

Chilt

So! I’ve got it in my head I want to go to one! They look incredible! Am I too late?

Where would the closest or best one by me be? I live in Staffordshire ws11 area!

Thanks for any help
Nick

Bempton Cliffs RSPB (Yorkshire) is fantastic! It's a bit late now but you should still be in time to see a lot of birds if you go now. And the gannets will still be there for some time.

Edit: just checked: the latest into the season that I have visited there was on 12th July 2011. It was well over its peak but guillemots, razorbills, gannets and puffins were still there.

As a bonus, also barn owls nesting nearby and in the afternoon they will be working the fields. Corn Bunting also breed there.

Last edited:
I was at Bempton Cliffs last weekend and it was still full of action. Loads of Gannets, Kittiwakes, Razorbills. Puffins still there too.

Need to get there early as they are only opening half the car park to limit numbers on the reserve/viewing platforms. They were turning people away by 11am

I went to Bempton Cliffs mid July and for someone (like me) not spoilt by too many visits to seabird colonies it is great. Don't wait too long because the Puffins will be off soon.

It's not just the sight, but also the sound and the (unpleasant!) smell that add to the experience.

Right! Bempton cliffs it is! If I leave at 6am, I’ll get there for 8.45ish! Sorted! Thanks for the help guys! Is there any decent place to go there when I go or do I just follow the sound? Haha

Thanks
Nick

Just head for the cliff edge. All the viewing platforms are worth visiting.

At my local colony, auk chicks were fledging in large numbers from about ten days ago so the number of adults present will be much lower by now. However the timing is quite variable between different colonies and between east and west coasts. Even if the auks are largely gone, there is still plenty of interest, particularly the very close views of gannets that can be had at times.

If the wind is wafting the smell of the guano up the cliffs make sure you take plenty of deep breaths! I'm one of those odd people who love the smell. Many don't.

If it's today you are visiting, perhaps you could let us know how the colony is looking if you have time. I was thinking of trekking across to the Yorkshire coast myself tomorrow.

Just head for the cliff edge. All the viewing platforms are worth visiting.

At my local colony, auk chicks were fledging in large numbers from about ten days ago so the number of adults present will be much lower by now. However the timing is quite variable between different colonies and between east and west coasts. Even if the auks are largely gone, there is still plenty of interest, particularly the very close views of gannets that can be had at times.

If the wind is wafting the smell of the guano up the cliffs make sure you take plenty of deep breaths! I'm one of those odd people who love the smell. Many don't.

If it's today you are visiting, perhaps you could let us know how the colony is looking if you have time. I was thinking of trekking across to the Yorkshire coast myself tomorrow.

Thanks for the reply, I’ll be going Saturday, and if the weather isn’t good I may end up going Wednesday next week, do you think Wednesday is too late? Cause it’s a 3 hour drive for me and I don’t want to waste my time and fuel haha.. it’s a Auto.. 1mile to the gallon ;).

So really.. when I get there, just check out the different viewing platforms then? Quite exciting as I’ve never been to one! Add some
More birds to the old life list haha.

Thanks
Nick

Hope you have a great time, there's always a thrill at a Seabird Colony the sounds, the sights and most importantly the atmosphere.

I love that smell too! It's the positive association with amazing nature spots. Not just seabird colonies, but also bat/swift caves in Malaysia etc.

Regarding Bempton Cliffs, I often camp at World Farm, which is just a few kilometres walk along the coast to the south. Then in the morning I can just walk to Bempton Cliffs. But that whole coastline is very scenic and I always see small numbers of puffins, guillemots, razorbills and kittiwakes on the cliffs opposite the campsite and gannets flying above the sea.

Thanks for the reply, I’ll be going Saturday, and if the weather isn’t good I may end up going Wednesday next week, do you think Wednesday is too late? Cause it’s a 3 hour drive for me and I don’t want to waste my time and fuel haha.. it’s a Auto.. 1mile to the gallon ;).

So really.. when I get there, just check out the different viewing platforms then? Quite exciting as I’ve never been to one! Add some
More birds to the old life list haha.

Thanks
Nick

Weather looks good for you Saturday, dry and cloudy with a light westerly breeze so should be no problem with the notorious sea fret that can occur:t:

Just back

We just spent a couple of nights at Bridlington, we used Lobster Pot hotel/pub.
The camp site is not taking bookings for tents as they can't make toilet block available, so walking from the site is not an option unless you have a camper van.

Reserve has toilets open and doing coffee and snacks if you do it in a day.

Just about everything is still around although Fulmar and Puffin number are going down.

If the RSPB car park is full - then park at Bempton or at Wold Camping Park and take the footpath to the coastal walk, some great viewing where the path from Camping pRak joins.
A volunteer told us it was heaving last week-end but it was OK in the week.

A few photos to whet your appetite.

Enjoy!!

Attachments

• fulmar in flight.JPG
    fulmar in flight.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
  • gannet on daisy ledge.JPG
    gannet on daisy ledge.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
  • gannet hang.JPG
    gannet hang.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 18
  • puffins social distancing.JPG
    puffins social distancing.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 21
  • razorbill gape.jpg
    razorbill gape.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 15
Awesome!

I want to go too now! lol

We just spent a couple of nights at Bridlington, we used Lobster Pot hotel/pub.
The camp site is not taking bookings for tents as they can't make toilet block available, so walking from the site is not an option unless you have a camper van.

Reserve has toilets open and doing coffee and snacks if you do it in a day.

Just about everything is still around although Fulmar and Puffin number are going down.

If the RSPB car park is full - then park at Bempton or at Wold Camping Park and take the footpath to the coastal walk, some great viewing where the path from Camping pRak joins.
A volunteer told us it was heaving last week-end but it was OK in the week.

A few photos to whet your appetite.

Enjoy!!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back