• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Strange looking Serin -Central Portugal (1 Viewer)

Atricapilla

Still Wandering
This strange looking Serin arrived in the garden today.
Melanistic or Hybrid???
What do you think.
Anyone !!

Attachments

• Serin with Melanism.jpg
    Serin with Melanism.jpg
    378.9 KB · Views: 218
Although I don't have too much experience of wild (or captive) Canaries, those that I've seen have a very different 'jizz' from Serin - a little larger, longer tailed and less compact. Hence, as it's feeding with Serin I'd have expected any observer familiar with that species (as I'm sure Atricapilla must be) would have picked up on the different 'feel' of the bird. That said, I'm not sure how far this would apply to domestic variations on the Canary theme.

Although I don't have too much experience of wild (or captive) Canaries, those that I've seen have a very different 'jizz' from Serin - a little larger, longer tailed and less compact. Hence, as it's feeding with Serin I'd have expected any observer familiar with that species (as I'm sure Atricapilla must be) would have picked up on the different 'feel' of the bird. That said, I'm not sure how far this would apply to domestic variations on the Canary theme.

My thoughts were on the same line John,
What are the chances of hybridisation and with which species?🤔

Pro Serin, the yellow, running behind the eye to the nape, is a good match for the accompanying bird.

A

It certainly looks that way Andy,I just haven't ever seen such a pale bird before.
We have around 50 or so Serin in the garden at the moment,they stay all year around with obviously lots more in the breeding season.

Canaries are probably the most widely crossed species in captivity with crosses including (but not restricted to) Linnet, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Redpoll, Siskin, Twite, Bullfinch, Crossbill (!), Chaffinch, Cut-throat Finch, Hooded, Pine, Black-headed Red & Black Siskins, Cut-throat, House and Purple Finches. Most of these birds occur well outside the Canary's natural range (e.g. America) They're also crossed with Serin producing fertile young. I'm not sure how often hybrids of any sort are found in the wild, if at all. (see https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...QQ6AEIXTAN#v=onepage&q=canary crosses&f=false).

Last edited:
Canaries are probably the most widely crossed species in captivity with crosses including (but not restricted to) Linnet, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Redpoll, Siskin, Twite, Bullfinch, Crossbill (!), Chaffinch, Cut-throat Finch, Hooded, Pine, Black-headed Red & Black Siskins, Cut-throat, House and Purple Finches. Most of these birds occur well outside the Canary's natural range (e.g. America) They're also crossed with Serin producing fertile young. I'm not sure how often hybrids of any sort are found in the wild, if at all. (see https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...QQ6AEIXTAN#v=onepage&q=canary crosses&f=false). They're also crossed with Serin producing fertile young.

Thanks John,
I will have a look at that later,very interesting.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back