• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gulf Oil Spill and future Migrations (1 Viewer)

Glenn234

Hello all. I'm new here.. and what brought me to this forum is my ever increasing concern for our North American Migratory birds and water foul that will be affected by the current Gulf Oil Spill.

We've just witnessed (here, in North/Central Ontario, Canada) the return of so many migratory birds, ducks, geese, loons etc that have wintered in the Florida / Gulf area and with the recent BP Oil Spill there is mounting concern that our migratory birds will be flying into a 'death trap' when they migrate back to the Florida/Gulf area this fall ... the question is not "IF" it happens, but rather 'when' it happens, WHAT CAN WE DO to help prevent the devastion on the numbers of migrating and year round birds???

Questions run through my mind, like - How many birds will be affected by the environmental impact of this crisis?

Should bird counts be started now? How would one go about doing such a mammoth task?

Surely there will be cascading effects as a result... everything is connected to everything else ... the entire food chain could be disrupted.

As a nature and wildlife enthusiast, I cherish the wildlife I'm able to see and experience in this part of the globe, and I think of how so many ducks, loons, geese and birds may not come back next spring... it is perplexing to say the least, and I hope there is something 'we' can do as a global community...

There's not much we can do to 'help' prevent the devastation... we can't change migratory routes, as the birds are 'hard wired' to go where they need to go, but perhaps there is 'hope' - hope that we can do something to lessen the effect that this environmental catastrophe is about to have on our continent.

Maybe we can learn something from those who experienced the Exxon spill of the mid 80's and other spills of the past.

There's hope.... and I realize that 'action' is also needed... but I'm not sure what I can 'do' - perhaps this is a start! ???

I hope !

"Our dependency on Oil and related Petroleum Products seems so great that we'll pay almost any price to maintain our current consumption levels - but nobody mentioned the unforseen price that Mother Nature would pay as a result... oh what a price we pay! "
Glenn

Hi, Glenn, and welcome.

I wish I had some positive insight to offer you, but I'm afraid I don't. Here in America, the lies and PR spin lay as thick as the crude. If there WERE anything proactive that could be done, that chance is quickly evaporating in an atmosphere where rational discussion is being deflected by spurious discussions of things like "dispersants," a "solution" which is making the problem far worse while appearing to make things better.

I fear the worst.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back