• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two Months of Lifers Down Under (2 Viewers)

Thanks Keith and Debs. Seeing both these really was a thrill that day.

I'd seen the Stone Curlew's in Norfolk a few years ago, but moving fast in a ploughed field and in failing light, so I knew my camera wouldn't be able to cope.

Through a gap in the trees I could see down to the beach and snapped a group of birds which turned out to be Pied Oystercatchers when I looked at the screen.

Late lunch we decided, as there was time before the ferry. Went into the Little Ship Club and had my first ever Calamari... delicious it was too.

Waiting to greet us was a Magpie hoping for a titbit but he was rather unlucky. Wandering round waiting for the ferry to turn up I saw an Australian Pied Cormorant swimming in the bay. He did catch a decent sized fish, but I preferred this picture.

As there's space, thought I'd add another picture of the Stone Curlew family.

Anyone heading to Brisbane, Stradbroke Island is certainly worth visiting. According to the website, there's 1860 species on the island (Flora and fauna). https://wetlandinfo.des.qld.gov.au/.../?AreaID=diwa-wetland-north-stradbroke-island

Attachments

• BF Pied Oystercatcher thread.jpg
    BF Pied Oystercatcher thread.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 32
  • BF Australian Magpie thread.jpg
    BF Australian Magpie thread.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 37
  • BF Little Pied Cormorant thread.jpg
    BF Little Pied Cormorant thread.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 41
  • BF Bush Stone Curlew thread01.jpg
    BF Bush Stone Curlew thread01.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 102
Delia, the Little Pied Cormorant is in fact a 'Pied Cormorant' not a 'little' as larger than the other and I think more interesting!....another lifer?.......another set of wonderful images, envy you for seeing the Whale.....thanks for sharing, looking forward to next installment!
Nora

Thanks Nora, indeed you're right, careless of me. Change made.

Yes - that really was a wonderful day, and one of the many highlights of my trip too.

Delia -what a holiday and what a fabulous report. I have enjoyed reading all about your adventures - birds galore and everything else.

It is great to have a birding friends by your side to share your experience with

You are so lucky! :gh::gh::gh:

Sandy Camp Road Wetlands

3 October 2019

Days with Ken are running away with me now sadly.

Returning to Sandy Camp Road Wetlands this morning, but first stopping off at Lindum Park again.

The tide was out, so only distant views of the stilt today. However, we walked further right than last time and first saw a delightful Willie Wagtail.

Also there was a tiny Black-fronted Dotterel, I'm so glad I saw these, as I've long had a soft spot for the Charadrius family (though sadly I see he's been moved out of that family!).

After that we moved round to a different part of Lindum Park, which appeared to be rather busy.

First up was an Australian Pelican (right to the end of my trip I remained stunned at how big they are!) he was pretty close to a Little Egret.

Attachments

• BF Lindum Park thread.jpg
    BF Lindum Park thread.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 73
  • S0032004 Willie Wagtail.JPG
    S0032004 Willie Wagtail.JPG
    226.1 KB · Views: 45
  • BF Black-fronted Dotterel thread.jpg
    BF Black-fronted Dotterel thread.jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 56
  • BF Australian Pelican thread.jpg
    BF Australian Pelican thread.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 34
  • BF Intermediate Egret thread.jpg
    BF Intermediate Egret thread.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 36
There were a number of Australian Stilt there, also a White-faced Heron. Up in a tree was an Little Pied Cormorant doing the typical wing pose.

Finally getting to the wetlands something attracted Ken's attention to a nearby hedge which turned out to be a party of Superb Fairywrens.

The first water on the left first showed us an Australasian Grebe and Comb-crested Jacana.

Attachments

• BF Lindum Park2 thread.jpg
    BF Lindum Park2 thread.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 30
  • BF Australian Pied Cormorant thread.jpg
    BF Australian Pied Cormorant thread.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 33
  • BF Superb Fairywren female thread.jpg
    BF Superb Fairywren female thread.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 43
  • BF Australasian Grebe thread.jpg
    BF Australasian Grebe thread.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 36
  • BF Comb-crested Jacana thread.jpg
    BF Comb-crested Jacana thread.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Keep 'em coming, Delia! Thought I better mention though that you've got a couple of typos on your photo labels: It's a Little Egret in #108 and a Little Pied Cormorant in #109 :t:

Thanks Larry, and also thanks for mentioning the errors. They've been corrected in my folder. Too complicated to re-upload them... at least for a little old lady;)

A Reed Warbler gave me better views when he sat on top of the foliage beside the lake. On the path was a new species for me in Spotted Dove, an Asian introduction (am I allowed to count this one?).

Strange how, even going at the same time of day, species we saw previously were absent, but others were there instead. I suddenly saw something flying overhead and realised it was a Darter, and was pleased to have got a shot at it that's identifiable.

The pretty Welcome Swallows were flying around, one kindly settled on a dead branch for me.

Then we saw an Ibis 'walking the plank', obviously the water tasted sweeter at this point LOL. Also in there, keeping him company were Dusky Moorhens and Australian Grebes.

Attachments

• BF Australian Reed Warbler thread.jpg
    BF Australian Reed Warbler thread.jpg
    316.9 KB · Views: 44
  • BF Spotted Dove thread.jpg
    BF Spotted Dove thread.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 38
  • BF Australasian Darter thread.jpg
    BF Australasian Darter thread.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 45
  • BF Welcome Swallow thread.jpg
    BF Welcome Swallow thread.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 31
  • BF Australian Ibis and friends thread.jpg
    BF Australian Ibis and friends thread.jpg
    326.4 KB · Views: 37
When the light catches them right the swamphens look really beautiful, better even than in my shot here! Also in the water at this point were Wandering Whistling Ducks and Pacific Black Ducks.

As if to ensure I didn't forget what they looked like, there was actually a pair of Black-fronted Dotterel at the water's edge.

And a Willie Wagtail entertained us on the path.

Attachments

• BF Australian Swamphen thread.jpg
    BF Australian Swamphen thread.jpg
    362.9 KB · Views: 128
  • BF Wandering Whistling Duck thread.jpg
    BF Wandering Whistling Duck thread.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 117
  • BF Pacific Black Duck thread.jpg
    BF Pacific Black Duck thread.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 117
  • BF Black-fronted Dotterel1 thread.jpg
    BF Black-fronted Dotterel1 thread.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 124
  • BF Willie Wagtail thread.jpg
    BF Willie Wagtail thread.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 116
So much for the little old lady - much more "bestriding the earth like a colossus" and cleaning up on mountains of birds, whales, dolphins and monster trees lizards - great stuff!

Cracking shot of the kingfisher and love the Stone Curlew family - one of my favourite Australian birds!

Cheers
Mike

So much for the little old lady - much more "bestriding the earth like a colossus" and cleaning up on mountains of birds, whales, dolphins and monster trees lizards - great stuff!

Cracking shot of the kingfisher and love the Stone Curlew family - one of my favourite Australian birds!

Cheers
Mike

+1 :t:

Chosun :gh:

Cheers
Mike

+1 :t:

Chosun :gh:

Thanks so much Mike and Chosun.

Here's another picture of the Stone Curlews just for you!;)

Attachments

• BF Bush Stone Curlew thread2.jpg
    BF Bush Stone Curlew thread2.jpg
    341.2 KB · Views: 45
Continuing our wander we came across a pair of Royal Spoonbills, one in his fine breeding plumage; a Darter drying off his wings and a Grey Teal.

Before leaving that lake, I had to take a picture of the emerging Water Lilies, they looked so pretty.

Walking along another path, there was a Brown Honeyeater, maybe not the prettiest of them, but they are rather neat.

We also saw a Lewin's Honeyeater but I didn't get a picture that I could use.

Attachments

• BF Royal Spoonbill thread.jpg
    BF Royal Spoonbill thread.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 125
  • BF Australasian Darter perched thread.jpg
    BF Australasian Darter perched thread.jpg
    341.8 KB · Views: 116
  • BF Grey Teal thread.jpg
    BF Grey Teal thread.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 120
  • BF Water Lily thread.jpg
    BF Water Lily thread.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 116
  • BF Brown Honeyeater thread.jpg
    BF Brown Honeyeater thread.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 125
Just caught up on your recent posts Delia! Awesome sightings, the Humpback Whale must have been so special to see.
I agree the Stone Curlew family look delightful and also the smart looking Black-fronted Dotterel.

Looking forward to reading about and seeing more please.:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back