• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buteo buzzard, Algeria (1 Viewer)

Acrocephalus

Morocco
This buzzard was photographed at Djurdjura, northern Algeria in March 2020 by Mourad Harzallah. The black subterminal tail band, smaller bill and the general look of the bird (smaller and compact) suggest a Steppe Buzzard.

However, some Atlas Long-legged Buzzards also have the first criterion, but their bills always look stronger.

Any ideas welcome, thanks!

Attachments

• Buteo buzzard (Mourad Harzallah).jpg
    Buteo buzzard (Mourad Harzallah).jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 132
It does look a bit Steppe-like, though it would be a long way off course. I can't see a carpal patch on the underwing, are there any more pics?

A very red bird, would be at the top end of the spectrum for Steppe?

It's got a very small, almost Kestrel like, head, not sure if that means anything?

Actually the 2019 update on the link confirms that ‘African Long legged Buzzard’ is actually an allospecies of Common Buzzard, the photo looks right for one of those I believe.

Actually the 2019 update on the link confirms that ‘African Long legged Buzzard’ is actually an allospecies of Common Buzzard, the photo looks right for one of those I believe.

true, so hybrid is no longer the correct term, how do you call them in english? Intergrades?

i have a question regarding the sharp cut dark subterminal tailbar. is it a feature of those hybrids, tom? since pure cirtensis usually don't show this vulpinus-like narrow bar. or am i wrong with that?

i have a question regarding the sharp cut dark subterminal tailbar. is it a feature of those hybrids, tom? since pure cirtensis usually don't show this vulpinus-like narrow bar. or am i wrong with that?

that's correct, cirtensis should show a rather uniform orange tail but often with some shadow bars, and this is not a juvenile but an adult with clear moult and dark iris

Thanks all for the discussion. We still don’t have an agreed name I think. I will ask if he has any other photos.

As hybridization played a major role in its formation, the Atlas Long-legged Buzzards can still technically be called hybrids. I think just that the meaning of hybrids is different before and after 2019. During the last decade, it was thought that these hybrids occur only on the area of the Strait of Gibraltar and northeast Tunisia (and the Strait of Sicily, e.g. at Pantelleria). Also, we thought that these hybridizations may have been more recent. However, the study of Jowers et al (2019) showed that this is not the case (museum samples collected far from the coast decades ago were found out to be a mixture of rufinus and buteo genomes).

However, because that study unfortunately didn’t include samples from one of the main areas where all this started (the Strait of Gibraltar area), I think the picture is still not complete. At the time, I wrote in the blog that this is not a big issue (because “hybrids” found even far south), but I think now it’s probably an issue. The birds in that area have indeed some features not present in “pure” cirtensis found in the south. Such features include the pale band that run across the under-body. Just a theory, probably these are the results of more recent hybridization with buteo from the Iberian Peninsula (So old hybridization plus a recent one, I don't know where this will end!). That’s why a friend told me at the time (just after the publication of the cited paper) that another study is underway to fill this gap.

A very red bird, would be at the top end of the spectrum for Steppe?

It's got a very small, almost Kestrel like, head, not sure if that means anything?

I think, it should mean something. That “cute” expression and the small bill,…that got the photographer to wonder about its ID in the first place.

The bird in plate 34 (in Rodriguez et al 2013) photographed at Sidi Yahya, way south from the Strait, have this feature. See also the bird in plate 41.

The more you look at it, the more it gets fascinating.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back