• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Phasianidae (1 Viewer)

Can't find a copy of the book online, unfortunately (doesn't help that the citation is a transliteration from cyrillic text, and I can't find the original title either!).
Пржевальскій Н [Przheval'skiy N]. 1876. Монголія и страна Тангутовъ: трехлѣтнее путешествіе въ восточной нагорной Азіи. Томъ II. [Mongolia and the Tangut country: three years of travel in eastern high Asia. Volume II.] Изданіе императорскаго русскаго географическаго общества [Publication of the Imperial Russian Geographic Society], Санктпетербургъ [St-Petersburg].
The precedence is not fixed in the original work.

Note that, in their conclusions, Liu et al 2020 suggest the recognition of:
[...] Chinese pheasant P. vlangallii (including the torquatus, strauchi–vlangallii and formosanus groups) [...]
...which is potentially a first reviser act giving precedence to vlangalii.
(Assuming the journal is still published in print in the sense of the Code, of course -- Wiley currently appears to offer print subscriptions exclusively to institutions, not to individuals.)

Pages 116 and 119 of volume 2 of Przevalski's Mongollia i strana tangutov; trechletnee pooteshestvieh v voctochnoi pagornii Azeen. It'll need a first reviser to decide which name to use if they are to be lumped.

Can't find a copy of the book online, unfortunately (doesn't help that the citation is a transliteration from cyrillic text, and I can't find the original title either!).

Found it!
Phasianus vlangalii - Page 116 & plate XVI
Phasianus strauchi - Page 119 & plate XVII
Enjoy :t:

Last edited:
Unless vlangalii is treated as a separate species to torquatus, it doesn't matter much as torquatus (Gmelin, 1789) long predates Przevalski's 1876 names :t:

Mongollia i strana tangutov; trechletnee pooteshestvieh v voctochnoi pagornii Azeen.
Quite a funny transliteration, incidentally. (Not really surprising that finding the original with this is not straightforward.) Where does it come from ?

Original spelling: Монголія и страна Тангутовъ: трехлѣтнее путешествіе въ восточной нагорной Азіи.
Modern spelling: Монголия и страна Тангутов: трехлетнее путешествие в восточной нагорной Азии.

Mongoliya i strana Tangutov: trekhletnee puteshestvie v vostochnoy nagornoy Azii.

(WikiSpecies ? If so, couldn't it be corrected ?)

Last edited:
Quite a funny transliteration, incidentally. (Not really surprising that finding the original with this is not straightforward.) Where does it come from ?

Original spelling: Монголія и страна Тангутовъ: трехлѣтнее путешествіе въ восточной нагорной Азіи.
Modern spelling: Монголия и страна Тангутов: трехлетнее путешествие в восточной нагорной Азии.

Mongoliya i strana Tangutov: trekhletnee puteshestvie v vostochnoy nagornoy Azii.

(WikiSpecies ? If so, couldn't it be corrected ?)
From Zoonomen: https://www.zoonomen.net/cit/jourm.html#Mongol.StranaTangut.
But it's found its way from there to wikispecies too, that can be corrected :t:

Obvious English name for P. torquatus is Ring-necked Pheasant.

Perhaps Western Pheasant for P. colchicus s.str.? It occurs much further west than any other pheasant.

Retaining the common name of Ring-necked Pheasant would then create the situation where you wouldn't know if someone using the name was referring to the older "lumped" definition of the species, or the newer split.

Retaining the common name of Ring-necked Pheasant would then create the situation where you wouldn't know if someone using the name was referring to the older "lumped" definition of the species, or the newer split.

And there is also the matter of the members of the colchicus group which have ringed necks: mongolicus, turcestanicus, chrysomelas, etc. All three groups of the "split" would have lowercase ring-necked populations.

It's nice to see some genetic data on the Common Pheasant taxa, though if I'm interpreting it correctly, it's based primarily just on mtDNA. The most interesting, recent papers that I've enjoyed reading are using Next Gen sequencing, looking at the whole genomic structure - I'd be really keen on reading about the pheasant taxa using that. Or at least comparing vocalising, or plumage patterns with the mtDNA.

For a species complex of this size, the different “lineages” are hardly diverged. The deepest divergence in the whole complex wasn’t even one million years on mtDNA clock, translating into far less than 2% divergence.

If we’re going to start splitting everything with 1.5% divergence absent any other data, we’ll soon have 25,000 bird species!

James

Last edited:
By the way, I wonder if anything is practically done to protect the genetic diversity of the common pheasant? The biggest problem is release of farm hybrids range-wide in Eurasia.

It's nice to see some genetic data on the Common Pheasant taxa, though if I'm interpreting it correctly, it's based primarily just on mtDNA. The most interesting, recent papers that I've enjoyed reading are using Next Gen sequencing, looking at the whole genomic structure - I'd be really keen on reading about the pheasant taxa using that. Or at least comparing vocalising, or plumage patterns with the mtDNA.

For a species complex of this size, the different “lineages” are hardly diverged. The deepest divergence in the whole complex wasn’t even one million years on mtDNA clock, translating into far less than 2% divergence.

If we’re going to start splitting everything with 1.5% divergence absent any other data, we’ll soon have 25,000 bird species!

James

That, plus the ease at which the different taxa breed means that these lineages are PSC species at best. In some areas of North America (and I would guess Europe too, perhaps other places), the introduced populations have been "supplemented" with both the torquatus and colchicus groups to the extent that they could be considered a "hybrid swarm" under the split scenario. The hand-wringing among listers would be considerable!

But the truth is, with the BSC so prominent in ornithology I would be greatly surprised to see any committee accept this case as a split without evidence of some sort of reproductive isolating mechanism.

Simin Liu, Yang Liu, Edouard Jelen, Mansour Alibadian, Cheng‐Te Yao, Xintong Li, Nasrin Kayvanfar, Yutao Wang, Farhad S. M. Vahidi, Jian‐Lin Han, Gombobaatar Sundev, Zhengwang Zhang & Manuel Schweizer (2020). Regional drivers of diversification in the late Quaternary in a widely distributed generalist species, the common pheasant Phasianus colchicus

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/jbi.13964

IOC Updates Diary Oct 15

Post proposed split of Common Pheasant into three species.

Bamboo Partridges

Wang, P., Yeh, C., Chang, J. et al. Multilocus phylogeography and ecological niche modeling suggest speciation with gene flow between the two Bamboo Partridges. Avian Res 12, 17 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1186/s40657-021-00252-x

Abstract:

Background
Understanding how species diversify is a long-standing question in biology. The allopatric speciation model is a classic hypothesis to explain the speciation process. This model supposes that there is no gene flow during the divergence process of geographically isolated populations. On the contrary, the speciation with gene flow model supposes that gene flow does occur during the speciation process. Whether allopatric species have gene flow during the speciation process is still an open question.

Methods
We used the genetic information from 31 loci of 24 Chinese Bamboo Partridges (Bambusicola thoracicus) and 23 Taiwan Bamboo Partridges (B. sonorivox) to infer the gene flow model of the two species, using the approximate Bayesian computation (ABC) model. The ecological niche model was used to infer the paleo-distribution during the glacial period. We also tested whether the two species had a conserved ecological niche by means of a background similarity test.

Results
The genetic data suggested that the post-divergence gene flow between the two species was terminated before the mid-Pleistocene. Furthermore, our ecological niche modeling suggested that their ecological niches were highly conserved, and that they shared an overlapping potential distribution range in the last glacial maximum.

Conclusions
The allopatric speciation model cannot explain the speciation process of the two Bamboo Partridges. The results of this study supported a scenario in which speciation with gene flow occurring between the allopatric species and have contributed to our understanding of the speciation process.

[pdf]

Song, K., B. Gao, P. Halvarsson, Y. Fang, S. Klaus, Y.-X. Jian, J.E. Swenson, Y.-H. Sun, and J. Höglund. 2021. Demographic history and divergence of sibling grouse species inferred from whole genome sequencing reveal past effects of climate change. BMC Ecology and Evolution 21: 194. open access.
Demographic history and divergence of sibling grouse species inferred from whole genome sequencing reveal past effects of climate change - BMC Ecology and Evolution

Abstract
Background: The boreal forest is one of the largest biomes on earth, supporting thousands of species. The global climate fluctuations in the Quaternary, especially the ice ages, had a significant influence on the distribution of boreal forest, as well as the divergence and evolution of species inhabiting this biome. To understand the possible effects of on-going and future climate change it would be useful to reconstruct past population size changes and relate such to climatic events in the past. We sequenced the genomes of 32 individuals from two forest inhabiting bird species, Hazel Grouse (Tetrastes bonasia) and Chinese Grouse (T. sewerzowi) and three representatives of two outgroup species from Europe and China.
Results: We estimated the divergence time of Chinese Grouse and Hazel Grouse to 1.76 (0.46–3.37) MYA. The demographic history of different populations in these two sibling species was reconstructed, and showed that peaks and bottlenecks of effective population size occurred at different times for the two species. The northern Qilian population of Chinese Grouse became separated from the rest of the species residing in the south approximately 250,000 years
ago and have since then showed consistently lower effective population size than the southern population. The Chinese Hazel Grouse population had a higher effective population size at the peak of the Last Glacial Period (approx. 300,000 years ago) than the European population. Both species have decreased recently and now have low effective population sizes.
Conclusions: Combined with the uplift history and reconstructed climate change during the Quaternary, our results support that cold-adapted grouse species diverged in response to changes in the distribution of palaeo-boreal forest and the formation of the Loess Plateau. The combined effects of climate change and an increased human pressure impose major threats to the survival and conservation of both species.

Schreiber, A. 2021. Identification taxonomique de la Gélinotte des bois Tetrastes bonasia dans le nord-est de la France. Aves 58: 25-49.
https://www.aves.be/fileadmin/Aves/Bulletins/Articles/58_1/58-1_25.pdf

Abstract
The hazel grouse populations in north-eastern France and adjacent regions are revised taxonomically on the basis of differentiated characters in morphometrics and plumage colouration of the two subspecies T. b. rhenana (n = 127) and T. b. styriaca (n = 102). In France, T. b. styriaca occurs in (parts of?) the Alps and T. b. rhenana in the Vosges mountains and their surroundings. Presumably, T. b. rhenana had occupied a much larger historical range in the plains and lower hills of north-east France before anthropogenic extermination. In discriminant function analysis both subspecies reveal diagnosability of 87% of their individuals, based on wing length, tarsal feathering, bill morphology, mottling of the ventral plumage, and the background pigmentation of breasts and bellies. This diagnosability, also evident from principal component analysis, is an underestimate, since the dorsal plumage is also differentiated, but remains unamenable to statistical tests due to its character complexity and a high individual and a graded micro- and macrogeographical variation. There is no evidence for internal morphological subdivision within the population in the Vosges (although the material sampled from T. b. rhenana in France is so small that a minor micro-geographical structure could have been overlooked). Other than the more variable T. b. rhenana, the Alpine T. b. styriaca is one of the geographically most uniform subspecies of hazel grouse worldwide. Nevertheless, the very small study sample from the French western Alps deviated from the central and eastern Alpine stocks by certain ventral plumage traits, and this deviation may indicate a genetic influence by the adjacent (now extinct) lowland populations to the (north)west. The French Alpine population deserves a closer study once more specimens become available, also to see if the morphotype from the Jura is confined to this mountain range or extends into the northwesternmost Alps. The populations from the Jura are intermediate between the two subspecies, and more variable, and thus of presumed hybridogenetic descent from both adjacent stocks. However, their gross phenotype tends to be more similar to T. b. styriaca than to T. b. rhenana. While the contact zone between both subspecies is located to the south of the Vosges, the study material originated predominantly in the Swiss Jura only, and the underexplored hazel grouse from the Jura in France require deeper study to localize the contact zone more precisely. A caveat of the present taxonomic findings is that they relate to the original situation, evidenced by historical museum specimens; the possible effects of a recent release project of hazel grouse in the Vosges, using birds bred from one or more (not well documented) (north)eastern European subspecies on the taxonomic purity of the autochthonous T. b. rhenana cannot be recognised from these museum data. A result of this study of wider scientific interest is the statistical evidence for a regionalized, geographical differentiation of the degree of sexual dimorphism in ventral pigmentation patterns of hens and cocks: Such a sex dimorphism in the portions below the throat is absent fom the Alpine subspecies, but significantly displayed by T. b. rhenana. This phenomenon deserves further study in additional subspecies elsewhere, in order to understand likely differences in the social mating systems of the hazel grouse subspecies, which are plausibly correlated with a stronger or weaker sex dimorphism of the plumage signals.

Hey folks,

I have a personal checklist project I am working on, and as part of that I am trying to revise subspecies groups, as used by HBW and Clements.

HBW lists Copper Pheasant as being divided into three groups; Clements lists no groups for this species, but Birds of the world does say subspecies are morphological distinct and that works needs to be done to assess gene flow between populations.

My question is: are there any papers or authorities which have split or suggested that copper pheasant should be split, and if so, which subspecies?

My question is: are there any papers or authorities which have split or suggested that copper pheasant should be split, and if so, which subspecies?

The Lynx field guide Birds of Japan treat them as:
  • Scintillant Pheasant (Syrmaticus [soemmerringii) scintillans), incl. ssp. scintillans, intermedius, subrufus
  • Copper Pheasant (Syrmaticus [soemmerringii) soemmerringii), monotypic
  • White-rumped Pheasant (Syrmaticus [soemmerringii) ijimae), monotypic

The Lynx field guide Birds of Japan treat them as:
  • Scintillant Pheasant (Syrmaticus [soemmerringii) scintillans), incl. ssp. scintillans, intermedius, subrufus
  • Copper Pheasant (Syrmaticus [soemmerringii) soemmerringii), monotypic
  • White-rumped Pheasant (Syrmaticus [soemmerringii) ijimae), monotypic
Thanks! I figured that was the breakdown of subspecies, but it's good to get confirmation. I should really invest in more lynx guides...I only have their one for Malaysia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back