• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black storks, adult and juvenile? Marettimo Sicily (1 Viewer)

Kinthissa

6 September mid afternoon, 2 magnificent birds came sailing by, never seen before but easy to identify! an adult guiding a juvenile?
1,2 the pair
3 juvenile?

Attachments

• p1320423.2250.1300.600.800.j600.jpg
    p1320423.2250.1300.600.800.j600.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 55
  • p1320425.2000.1100.800.600.i600.jpg
    p1320425.2000.1100.800.600.i600.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 39
  • p1320426.1800.1550.800.600.i600.jpg
    p1320426.1800.1550.800.600.i600.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 27
Although the photos don't permit bare part colours to be seen, the apparent pristine state of the flight feather tips suggest all juvs/1st cal. birds. We often get groups of up to as many 20 birds, nearly always all juvs. at Sagres, Portugal now. So, the birds of the year don't need adults to migrate ;)

Last edited:
Following your sound argument, the lower bird in image 1 and two is not as pristine as the accompanying juvenile since it is showing distinct signs of being in active wing moult.
In other words I guess that bird could well be an adult.

Peter

So Peter, the lower bird on the first photo has a secondary feather and primary P5 (outwards - in) missing/growing? I should have looked harder the first time :-O

Hi there, I have recently returned from a holiday near Trapini Sicily, and never got round to visiting the nearby islands, is Marettimo a good area for bird migration during Spring and Autumn ?

Regards from Mark

Yes it is. I was only able to get there for a few hours but the birding was good. Even on Levanzo, which is closer to the mainland, I had some very good passage of raptors coming in off the sea.

The ferry service to Marettimo in particular was limited outside high season when I went.

Stephen

Yes it is. I was only able to get there for a few hours but the birding was good. Even on Levanzo, which is closer to the mainland, I had some very good passage of raptors coming in off the sea.

The ferry service to Marettimo in particular was limited outside high season when I went.

Stephen

Okay thanks, I will consider a future trip maybe Spring or Autumn

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back