• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Identification a bird from Moscow, Russia (1 Viewer)

oleg2oleg

Hi to all!
What kind of a bird I cought? It's seems to me, that it is juvenile Savi's warbler Locustella luscinioides, but other people are thinking that it could be some kind of a Reed Warbler.
Thank you!!!

Reed Warbler Acrocephalus scirpaceus. Savi's has long, pale tipped undertail coverts, the bill looks rather too long and slender for Marsh ( A. palustris) and the primary projection is too long for Blyth's Reed (A. dumetorum ), which usually has a dark tip to the lower mandible.

Odd habo for a Reed Chris, looks like it's in bushes?

I'd say Blythe's simply on habitat.

Andy

Last edited:
Blyth's Reed - you can just see at least two emarginations on the primaries. Otherwise it manages to hide the most of the characters usually helpful when identifying the species.

Reed Warbler Acrocephalus scirpaceus. Savi's has long, pale tipped undertail coverts, the bill looks rather too long and slender for Marsh ( A. palustris) and the primary projection is too long for Blyth's Reed (A. dumetorum ), which usually has a dark tip to the lower mandible.

Chris, thank you! :t:

Odd habo for a Reed Chris, looks like it's in bushes?

I'd say Blythe's simply on habitat.

Andy

Here's a Reed Warbler in a flowering shrub in the centre of London, also a Sedge Warbler both in totally dry habitat! nearest possible breeding location circa 2-3 miles....

Attachments

• P1080845 (2) An unstreaked Acro with cream washed unders..jpg
    P1080845 (2) An unstreaked Acro with cream washed unders..jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 39
  • P1080236 (2)  A Love Lane Sedge Wrblr. no.2. 26.4.15.jpg
    P1080236 (2) A Love Lane Sedge Wrblr. no.2. 26.4.15.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 39
Even in August, Andy.

They spend most of their time preening and catching food in bushes near to reeds. You'll see more by watching the bushes than waiting for the reed stems to move and catch one climbing up ;)

Attachments

• P1380956RGp900cl2.jpg
    P1380956RGp900cl2.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 40
On migration or when just arrived but not in July Ken?

Andy

Andy...those two examples in April and May, I've had Reed Warbler in the garden during mid-July in previous years (yes on migration) dry habitat, with dense Hawthorn/Ivy/Holly hedgerow etc. Even had the latter (on mig.) in Chestnut trees, garden shrubs through to Oct 7th, again in small parks in Central London with NO water habitat.

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back