Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Atlanta area spring migration hot spot?

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Friday 1st April 2005, 16:09   #1
Doug Greenberg

Atlanta area spring migration hot spot?

Hello,
I make regular visits to Atlanta, Georgia, these days to visit my 86-year-old father. My next visit will likely be in late April or early May, dates as yet unconfirmed. As a California birder, one thing I miss is a clearly defined spring migration, particularly anything resembling "fallout." Consequently, I'd like to schedule my visit so that I might have the best chance of seeing a fair number of spring migrants. Last year I went to Kennesaw Mountain around the sixth of May and saw a large variety of warbler species but not that many birds, really. Should I simply repeat last year's trip, or is there a better time and place to possibly view a significant migration wave? I will be able to stay about five days. Thanks for any suggestions.
Doug in California

BF Supporter 2004 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 10th April 2005, 16:41   #2
Doug Greenberg

So don't have any members from Atlanta? North Georgia? Georgia? Sigh.

BF Supporter 2004 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 2nd March 2007, 23:54   #3
APSmith

Doug,

I just stumbled across this old thread.

Have you found the Kennesaw Mountain website, which has great archived information on migration counts? It quite informative. As far as a one-stop "migrant trap", it might be hard to beat. The time I went, there were some very knowledgable birders there, whom I enjoyed meeting.

You might also check out GABO (ga birders online) - interesting list-serv.
Old Saturday 3rd March 2007, 13:47   #4
John Gibson2

Quote:
Originally Posted by APSmith
Doug,

I just stumbled across this old thread.

Have you found the Kennesaw Mountain website, which has great archived information on migration counts? It quite informative. As far as a one-stop "migrant trap", it might be hard to beat. The time I went, there were some very knowledgable birders there, whom I enjoyed meeting.

You might also check out GABO (ga birders online) - interesting list-serv.
Thanks for the info. I'll try to get there during next week. There seem to be a good range of sites to visit in Georgia.
John

BF Supporter 2005 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 10th April 2007, 14:42   #5
HappyFish

Hi Doug, I have been off line for a bit and just landed again. I have very little time off in the Summer time but if you are going to be in the Atlanta on a Monday and can holler at me a few days early I would be happy to show you around. I`m no pro birder but I do have some places that I think you might like. I shoot a Nikon system so if you have a Nikon body bring that and I will tie you into some big glass to go with it. Like to fish? A combo bird/fish day? I have a small farm and you can see it here www.rainbowranchtrout.com Hope your dad is doing well. Robert
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: