• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Welcome to Nick's dining room table. (3 Viewers)

It truly is the way forward Nick!
Very high pitched, but unmistakable when known! Usually leads you right to them.
I think your ears are young enough to receive this frequency!

Just don't confuse them with Red-Backed Shrikes of restricted growth! ;)

PS Back to the Frogs? Yeh! Amorous or what? They're even trying it on with Smileys now! :frog:

no, I think they should be in my frequency range. I usually go birding with a guy in his fifties, very frustrating trying to convince him that there ARE firecrests singing, just he can't hear them! I'll just have to enjoy the high pitched frequencies while I can.

Cool link Phil. A bird I've never heard (or seen) - just a bit of the old dunnock in reverse to start up, maybe? - but the phwoee wheee is pretty distinctive - jeez these bird calls are hard to transcribe. Anyone take a shot?

Cool link Phil. A bird I've never heard (or seen) - just a bit of the old dunnock in reverse to start up, maybe? - but the phwoee wheee is pretty distinctive - jeez these bird calls are hard to transcribe. Anyone take a shot?

Tim,

The main call, and it's that we're concerned with for finding these birds, is the "tseeeeiuuu" call.
Think Reed Bunt's "Tsiu", but markedly higher pitched, more protracted, and falling away at the end ("down-slurred" I believe is the term!)
It's a call that is gentle, subtle, "wispy",delicate. Almost as if it doesn't want to be heard at all. It has certain pitch qualities I'd also associate with HazelHen (who would believe a grouse could make such a high-range call?!)
But, you can almost guarantee if you hear it and are patient, and face in the direction of its source, you will ultimately see it.
They are so tiny! The males looking like mini Red-Backed Shrikes.
In Poland, in Spring, males are so preoccupied with gathering the Bullrush and other fluff, that they seem unaware of anybody nearby, and can be watched at very close quarters.
As the cock has to build several nests to intice a female, collecting the stuff becomes a driven obsession! I only ever saw one nest, in a museum, in Narew National Park. So elaborate a construction, it defies belief.

Oh! And Xeno-Canto is a valuable bookmark, and the best bird sound-file source available, for me anyway!

Hope that is of some help.

The sound file from Osowiec in Poland I'd say is pretty representative of what you would hear in terms of the usual Remiz call.

Poland is a very good place to see "RBS Mini!" But they like to share their habitat with Elk (Moose) and Beaver. ;)

Last edited:
Well after listening to those calls now I'm all set for our Wood Warblers to start showing up. I always need to re-listen to my tapes so that I can be ready for them, many of which are at the very high end of the spectrum. One of the pleasures of spring is walking into the woods and listening intently then staring straight up at the sky to try to identify them feeding at the top of tall oaks and other trees.

And thanks for the tip on drawing fencepeckers Nick! First draw them in midair then just a line or two actually touching the paper. Masterfully done!

B :)B :)B :)B :) Pendulous Bosom B :)B :)B :)B :)

After all I've said about Reed Buntings, this time it was Reed Bunting that led me to it! Though I did hear it first, it was a lot quieter than I expected. It didn't stay around for very long before disappearing. Also had a Bluethroat too!

Willow Warblers arrived overnight it seems, I counted 10 around the edge of the marshes, and other observers are getting ones and twos all over. Nice movement of Redwings pushing back north, Robins displaying, and a Little Grebe on an impossibly small pool.

Attachments

• pendulous stupendulous 023.JPG
    pendulous stupendulous 023.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 63
  • pendulous stupendulous 024.JPG
    pendulous stupendulous 024.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 59
  • pendulous stupendulous 025.JPG
    pendulous stupendulous 025.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 64
  • pendulous stupendulous 022.JPG
    pendulous stupendulous 022.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 48
  • pendulous stupendulous 026.JPG
    pendulous stupendulous 026.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 54
bit of variety - I really want to get my old watercolour technique back, but end up reaching for acrylic and glue (stonechat).

For those that have ever strung a littoralis Rock Pipit for a Water Pipit, don't feel guilty - you were probably right - the ones I saw today really, REALLY wouldn't have made me think Water Pipit had I been in Britain. These ones from a week or two back are a little more in winter plumage though.

Eek - that Stonechat really does look like a little bumblesquat, I may have to slice some flab off him at some point.

Edit - Surgery done now, we had a small tummy-tuck done, and the operation was a success, also added a little bit of form to some of the branches.

Attachments

• wipits.JPG
    wipits.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 61
  • st tree.JPG
    st tree.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 65
  • stonechat.JPG
    stonechat.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
"After all I've said about Reed Buntings, this time it was Reed Bunting that led me to it! Though I did hear it first, it was a lot quieter than I expected. It didn't stay around for very long before disappearing. "

Shivers ran up and down my spine when I read this...

So very happy for you!

Hopefully, now you're tuned into the "RBS Mini" wavelength, you will find many more.

Congratzarama for finding a "River Bank Sylph"! :t: ;)

"After all I've said about Reed Buntings, this time it was Reed Bunting that led me to it! Though I did hear it first, it was a lot quieter than I expected. It didn't stay around for very long before disappearing. "

Shivers ran up and down my spine when I read this...

So very happy for you!

Hopefully, now you're tuned into the "RBS Mini" wavelength, you will find many more.

Congratzarama for finding a "River Bank Sylph"! :t: ;)

Just back from work to view your pendoulous bosom, congrats Nick. Along with another extinct french species, Bluethroat, you must be beside yourself Nick. Always nice when you hit a roll birding wise, certainly seems that way from here where I'm sitting. Just happy to view the results of all this good fortune, very tasty sketching indeed! Look forward to the inevitable paintings...

That Stonechat is just about as good as it gets Nick. Gobsmacked.

bluethroat in watercolour, I really wanted the bird to be a lot smaller in the picture, it's only now it's finished that I see that. Never mind, I can try again with acrylic and collage. To stop me from wasting nice watercolour paper by rubbing out on it, I'm now using cheap layout paper to sort out the compositions and then transfer it to the finished article by using graphite rubbed on the back. This means I can always work up the transfer by sticking it onto something solid and painting onto it.

Stonechat has come round following its weight-loss surgery.

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 65
This means I can always work up the transfer by sticking it onto something solid and painting onto it.
I don't quite understand this Nick,

Watercolor is really free yet perfectly descriptive of the fact and the poetry.

what size and also what kinds of brushes did you use

Hi Colleen,

yes, I was aware that perhaps as I was writing that, it may need translating at a later stage!

I use very thin cartridge paper to work out a composition, then on the back, I go over the whole thing with a graphite stick. I turn it back over and place it onto the support, then I retrace the lines I want. Basically, I make my own carbon paper. Tunnicliffe used to do this to lay out his designs. Instead of throwing away the 'transfers' I've started to keep them, as they're a great starting point for a collage/acrylic.

The watercolour is quite a small one, about A3. (Yes, that's small for me) the brushes are Daler Rowney, a dalon 1/4" flat, and an Aquafine number 4 for the details. Both new and springy, which is quite rare for me, some of my brushes are teenagers now and make me feel old! Though I love using new brushes!

Don't know what's happening to me, even with the rain and too many painting to be getting on with, I still went out birding all day yesterday! Some nice birds, Osprey, Marsh Harrier and Alpine Swift were the highlights. Swallows are back in numbers - there is a House Martin somewhere in the sketches too!

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 38
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 43
last sketch, then paintings - garganeys painted on the hardboard back of an ikea frame, really should do more on this sort of surface, so much easier to keep clean (and flat) than card or paper. Hen Harrier looking like a fat drop in the sky - not a mistake I hasten to add, she got all fluffed up whilst hanging on the air. Bluethroat redo, using the 'transfer' for the watercolour version glued onto cardboard.

Right, now to go and lock myself in the studio....

Attachments

• garganey.jpg
    garganey.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 59
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 61
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 61
I can't tell you what a pleasure it is to look at the last week's worth of work, Jonsson's 'Birds of Europe' in hand, and identify each of your finds, 'Pendulous Bosoms' and all. Like being there for migration and seeing, as Alan says, some very 'tasty sketching.' What a great way to start my week.

I must be getting used to your work. When I saw the first version of the Bluethroat I really liked it, especially the striking blue, but it did seem a bit odd - like you'd changed your style. Now I know why - the bird was smaller than I've come to expect. Now I like both versions - the normal style and the new style.

I did learn in writing this that it's always a mistake to hold off for a week. By that time there is just way too much to comment on!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back