• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x32mm Golden Rings (1 Viewer)

Stud Duck

I was trolling for a set of 10x42mm Golden Rings, when I stumbled upon a set of SLCs that I couldn't pass up. So now onwards and upward......

I have worked a deal on a set of NIB 8x32mm GRs that are unopened. Just based on what I've seen them sell for on ebay, I'm purchasing them knowing that I can make money on them should I not like them.

Anyhow, I have a few questions:

1. What did these binos sell for new?
2. When were they discontinued?
3. What type of prisms were used?
4. What type of coasting were applied to the prisms and lenses?

As always, thank you.

SD,

If I remember correctly either the original or the ED version originally sold for close to $1200. I am guessing they didn't sell at that point because Leupold changed the price point, possibly with the introduction of the EDs or shortly afterwards down to around $800-$900. This is all going by memory. I may be off slightly.

I can't help with your other questions. I don't remember there being anything exceptional about the coatings or the prisms. I just remember a claim by Leupold that they couldn't reduce the weight any further than what it was because of the number and weight of the glass elements utilized in the design.

SD,

If I remember correctly either the original or the ED version originally sold for close to $1200. I am guessing they didn't sell at that point because Leupold changed the price point, possibly with the introduction of the EDs or shortly afterwards down to around $800-$900. This is all going by memory. I may be off slightly.

I can't help with your other questions. I don't remember there being anything exceptional about the coatings or the prisms. I just remember a claim by Leupold that they couldn't reduce the weight any further than what it was because of the number and weight of the glass elements utilized in the design.

I appreciate the response; I realize your experience with the GR's is very limited, but just give me your "off cuff" opinion; how do you think the GR's would stack-up against the Meopta Meopro 6.5x32mm?

I really like the magnification of the Meopta v. the 8x of the Leupold, especially when I'm hunting/glassing relatively thick cover or dense woods.

Any input would be appreciated.

The GR should crush the MeoPro. You are comparing essentially alpha glass to solid $200-300 glass. Totally different league. Have you seen the allbinos review of the GR HD? Its transmission is up there with the Zeiss FL and it out scores the Leica UV, Swarovski EL (non SV) and everything else.

The only thing complaints you will ever hear about them is the weight, eyecup diameter, and the poopy brown color. :D

I have a Gold Ring HD 8x42. It is as good as anything else I have seen, and certainly won't be chased off by a Meopta HD, or even new top alphas. Eitan is right, it will probably easily outdistance the Meopro lines, which is likely equivalent of the BX-2 or 3 Leupold Green Ring stuff.

The GR's are heavy, which nobody who owns one seems to complain about. If it's the HD, it has a triplet objective and uses flourite in the glass.

My 8x42 will fit this review of the 8x32 exactly

http://www.allbinos.com/index.php?test=lornetki&test_l=184

Cabelas closed out the GR HD's a couple of years ago for $599 IIRC. Seems like the mint stuff still brings that price, but the non HD"s won't. Great stuff.

Have you seen the allbinos review of the GR HD? Its transmission is up there with the Zeiss FL and it out scores the Leica UV, Swarovski EL (non SV) and everything else.

I'm afraid that's one of those measurements where Allbinos didn't get it right. The GR HDs are still well made bins, though.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back