• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Laos Blue Rockthrush (1 Viewer)

MacNara

Japan
In Luang Prabang in Laos in late December, these two birds were on the airport roof. I think 1 and 2 (same bird) are Blue Rockthrush pandoo. Therefore I suppose 3 is the same species, but is it a juvenile or an adult female? Note the red vent.

Thanks.

Attachments

• _IGP1646.jpg
    _IGP1646.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 78
  • _IGP1641.jpg
    _IGP1641.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 81
  • _IGP1654.jpg
    _IGP1654.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 105
1 and 2 are Blue Rock Thrush but I'm not sure about 3. The bill looks rather stout and there is something about it that reminds me of a Whistling-thrush.

Chris

I think Whistling Thrushes have yellow bills.

What's strange is that the first bird seems to be all blue-ish, and therefore I would assume pandoo, but the second bird has a red vent. Therefore the second one should logically be some kind of philippinensis (apparently a winter visitor), maybe a young male that hasn't got red on its chest yet. Or maybe it's some stage of a Chestnut-bellied Rock Thrush, which Robson says is resident?

But given how few birds in total we saw in Laos, it would be weird if two birds looking similar in the same place (and the only two birds seen in that place in four hours - our plane was delayed) turned out to be two species.

Total bird list for four days in Luang Prabang:

Tree Sparrow: a few, several times
Common Myna: one, once from a distance
Feral Pigeon: two, together on one occasion
Grey-backed Shrike: one, once
Sooty-headed Bulbul: two individuals in two places
Common Tailorbird: one, once
Dark-necked Tailorbird: one, once
Yellow-browed Warbler: two individuals in two places
Striated or Red-rumped swallow: one group noticed on one occasion
Fork-tailed Swift: one group noticed on one occasion
Some kind of wagtail: one bird seen from a great distance
Another air bird
And the two birds in the present thread

There were a couple of small birds that we didn't see clearly, which might have been different from these. But we went for a country walk and elephant ride, and the town is a small town with lots of green. It's on a join of the Mekong and a smaller river - we saw no birds at all on or near the river.

On the walk our guide said there are no animals left in the area as they've all been eaten, and I suspect that's what happened to most of the birds, too. In the market, they were selling roast bat.

So do I, but I'm interested in whether one is pandoo and the other philippensis (which we have in Japan where I am), or whether pandoo (which would be a first for me) has a red vent at certain stages - my understanding was that any red meant phillipensis, and blue but no red meant pandoo, but to have one of each at the same time in a bird desert would be weird to me.

did you see the red vent in the field, or only in the photos? It looks to me like it could be a digital artefact...

did you see the red vent in the field, or only in the photos? It looks to me like it could be a digital artefact...

It's true that the original photo posted is boosted too much, but a red tint is visible in all the photos. It wasn't so noticeable in the field, but there was very bright sunshine in the direction of this bird. Also we got so few birds in Laos, that I was concentrating on getting a picture before it left (four hours at the airport from 2 to 6 and these were the only two birds seen at all, including in the sky). I don't know whether pandoo (f or juv) would have this or not, as pandoo (which the other bird is, I take it) is new to me.

Attachments

• _IGP1653.jpg
    _IGP1653.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 66
Hi, I agree that if there is be any red, itt be philippensis, even though the ones I used to see had at least a bit of red on the belly as well. Whether the red in the pic is real or not, I don't know, could be both...

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back