• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hola Everybody in BF !! (1 Viewer)

frfelix

I found this site in Google looking for an explanation about birding. I don't know much about this activity, but I'm interesting because in my country, (Dominican Republic in Caribbean) there is actually a boom. What are the things birders find in watching birds? Why birding is an exciting activity?

Thank you for your help and I hope to be early a birder.

Hello frfelix and a warm welcome to the BirdForum from those of us on staff here.

I would have to say, more than anything else, being out in the woods with nothing but nature around me has given me more peace and tranquility than anything else in my life. It has also raised my level of patience quite a bit as well ;) Looking forward to your future posts.

Tervetuloa to Birdforum, Frfelix. Good to have more internationality here.

Birding exciting? When doing it as for profession, it is far from that. Exciting it is eg. in ticking contests (like Great Global Bird Count, organised by Birdforum). I do birding for fun.

Birds in Dominican Republic

frfelix said:
I found this site in Google looking for an explanation about birding. I don't know much about this activity, but I'm interesting because in my country, (Dominican Republic in Caribbean) there is actually a boom. What are the things birders find in watching birds? Why birding is an exciting activity?

Thank you for your help and I hope to be early a birder.

Having just returned to the UK from the Dominican Republic on 4th November, I understand why you wonder what bird watching is all about. I found the DR very peaceful and relaxing. In the UK our lives are very busy and we relax by watching wildlife.

I saw lots of birds whilst in DR and don't know what any of them were. In the hotel complex there were a lot of very shiny black birds with bright yellow eyes - are these just a form of our british black bird? I also saw humming birds, only very early mornings, I didn't see any after 7.00 am. There were woodpeckers which I found interesting and also a little bird which had a yellow belly and a black head with a white stripe from its beak past its eyes - can you tell me the name of this bird? I hope to hear from you soon please.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back