• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blackbird territories U.K (1 Viewer)

George Hogg

In Spring when suburbia becomes a patchwork of blackbird territories,with surround sound singing from all directions and distances,are pairs already established ?
Or is singing designed to attract females,based on quality of singer and quality of territory?
Are either male or female blackbirds (or both) known to hold the same territory year after year?

In Spring when suburbia becomes a patchwork of blackbird territories,with surround sound singing from all directions and distances,are pairs already established ?
Or is singing designed to attract females,based on quality of singer and quality of territory?
Are either male or female blackbirds (or both) known to hold the same territory year after year?

Some males will already be holding territory. Blackbirds have been known to nest in all months, though it is very rare during the winter period (Dec-Feb). My understanding has always been that females will use both factors when judging a male. Our resident Blackbirds are supplemented by others from the continent during the winter months. I can see the resident males holding territory or at least no moving far from their breeding sites throughout the year but as for females, i'm not so sure. I'm sure some of the ringers on here will give you a better answer than I can on that point.

CB

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back