• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bluebird still not laying eggs (1 Viewer)

Billy Banana

Hello, I have a pair of bluebirds in my yard that have made 3 nests in 3 different nest boxes. They abandoned the first one because of my nosey dog, they abandoned the second one due to a sparrow, they continue to occupy the third box but still haven't laid any eggs.
The female started building the nest on June 3rd, and occasionally touches up the nest with fresh pine needles. Both male and female stop in many times a day. This morning the female was on the nest for a good 10 minutes, I thought she may have been laying an egg, but nothing.
I am new to having bluebirds in my yard so I am unsure if I am being impatient or if the pair may be having a problem. A few times a day I put out some mealworms and the female eats them within a few minutes. No sparrows are bullying them and conditions seem perfect so I am confused.
Any thoughts?
Thank you!

Attachments

• 2bbs.jpg
    2bbs.jpg
    350.8 KB · Views: 21
Perhaps you're unintentionally disturbing them if you are checking the inside of the nestbox regularly. If it is indeed the same pair, they seem loyal to the site. How on earth did you're dog manage to spook them?

I agree with Pat. Too much disturbance around the nest boxes will cause them to desert the nest each time and once eggs are laid they are even more frightened easily.

Hi there Billy and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

Please join in wherever you like.

Thank you, I dont disturb them at all really. I check inside every other day when theyre not around. My dog spooked them by standing up against the tree and barking at them

You may not see them but they could be on a branch seeing you go near the next box so I would really limit your checking on the next box.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back