• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Replacement objective cover (1 Viewer)

Hi all,

Apologies if posting in the wrong section of the forum. I purchased one of the Celestron Regal M2 80mm scopes last year and unfortunately (mid-WeBs) had it fall from its tripod this year. it's been repaired, but even more unfortunately, whilst in transit back to me, the objective cover has broken. I've looked on the Celestron site and they don't appear to offer replacements. Has anyone any tips or suggestions of where to find a replacement or an alternative?

Many thanks for reading,
Regards,
Gordon

Hi all,

Apologies if posting in the wrong section of the forum. I purchased one of the Celestron Regal M2 80mm scopes last year and unfortunately (mid-WeBs) had it fall from its tripod this year. it's been repaired, but even more unfortunately, whilst in transit back to me, the objective cover has broken. I've looked on the Celestron site and they don't appear to offer replacements. Has anyone any tips or suggestions of where to find a replacement or an alternative?

Many thanks for reading,
Regards,
Gordon

Hi,

if you have access to a 3d printer, it's easy to print one - there's plenty of scaleable designs on thingyverse - measure your outer diameter of the lens hood, add 1 or 2mm, enter it as inner diameter into the design and have it printed.

When finished, put a few pieces of self-adhesive velcro tape inside (only the fluffy side please, says your scope ;-)

Joachim

Hi Gordon,

I've looked on the Celestron site and they don't appear to offer replacements. Has anyone any tips or suggestions of where to find a replacement or an alternative?

I've designed this 3D printable cover ... I used it for an eyepiece, but it can be customized to fit over any cylindrical opening:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2805027

The illustrated eyepiece cover (the lanyard loop is optional) was printed by shapeways.com, which I've used a lot and which in my experience delivers good quality.

I didn't break my old cover, but lost it while birding ... the bright colour and the lanyard ring of the replacement will hopefully prevent that from happening again :)

Regards,

Henning

Hi Joachim,

When finished, put a few pieces of self-adhesive velcro tape inside (only the fluffy side please, says your scope ;-)

Thanks, that's a good one!

I tried self-adhesive felt one, but that was relatively coarse and long-grained, with the adhesive being squeezed out under the pressure of the tightly fitting eyepiece adapter. Quite messy!

Regards,

Henning

You've to search for 'snap on lens protection cover' and must know (product desription or measuring) the thread-diameter of your front-lens (e.g. 80mm lens could have a 82mm-thread, but varies).

Manfred

Celestron and Skywatcher optics seem to be often the same or similar, many coming from the same factory.
Does OVL supply spare objective covers?

B.

Optical Vision Ltd
Importers of many optics.
See their website.

Sold through stores.
I use Sherwoods photo amongst others.
Probably one in Glasgow.
I don't know if Charles Frank still has a store.

P.S.
Is the Acuter Grandvista DS80A-ED 20-60xED Dual-Speed Waterproof Spotting Scope the same as the Celestron Regal M2?

I am not sure if they supply front covers as spares.

Opticron may sell spare covers for their scopes.
(ES 80 GA ED v4 Fieldscope or earlier version?)

I suppose that the lens hoods could differ even with similar scopes from different suppliers.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back